Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Dana 60 in the front?!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 60 in the front?!

Hi Guys. I have a 2007 Wrangler X with the 44/30 superior axles and gears with 4.88 gears and ARB lockers & CTM Joints. They are fairly strong for stock axles but I have broken the front Ring and Pinion twice this summer wheeling.

I wheel it fairly hard but am usually not stupid with it. I have owned several jeeps over the years and most of them ended up with Dana 60's or something similar under the frame. I have another daily driver but I want to keep my JK driving as good as possible so that I can make a roadtrip in it occasionally.

I would LOVE to put the Teraflex D60's on the front and rear but they won't be ready till 2010 most likely. (I am partial to Teraflex as the CRD60's will be made to handle much better on the highway, but this is just my opinion.)

I am also thinking my rear 44 may be ok and it would be nice on the wallet to just put a 60 up front for now and add the rear 60 when I really need it.

So, here is my big question... I am thinking of ordering a front dana 60 at stock width and stock bolt pattern from Dynatrac. I think Currie could also do it, I am just not sure.

I would love to know what it would actually cost to have them built with 4.88 gears and an ARB locker bought and shipped to bolt in. (I know sometimes they use the brakes off your axle which I am not crazy about being that my front is a D30.) I would rather not spend $7-8K on a front axle if there is a good solution for less than that.

Is this a bad idea? What are some of the considerations or issues I will run into. I know Dynatrac CAN build anything you request. I don't know how much it will cost or if building it to the same specs as the stock axle would be a bad idea etc...

You can see my setup underneath. I have read most of the posts on the D60 options on this site and have a fairly good understanding of the build and plus and minuses. Whatever information anyone can provide me with concerning the above setup would be helpful.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

X 2...............
Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor

We can build you a RJ 60 with stock outters in order to retain the stock 5 x 5 bolt pattern. There is no way to have 5 x 5 on a true 1 Ton front end due to the size of the locking hub. You must have a wheel with a 4.25" center bore.

My recommendation would be to get a "true" 1 ton 60.

Part #: JK-RJIIIF
Our Price:$4,999.95

Description: The RockJock® III high pinion frontend assembly for the 2007 and up Jeep JK includes the complete housing featuring the 65-45-12 ductile iron housing center (highest ground clearance 60 on the market), AR400 heat treated bottom skid plate allowing the axle to slide over rocks easily, 3" d.o.m. steel tubes, 1 ton inner knuckles, 5/16" thick heavy steel diff cover, yoke (1310/1330/1350 optional), and all new heavy duty Currie Jeep JK suspension brackets mounted with Johnny Joint® equipped upper control arm mounts for maximum articulation. Axles shafts are the Currie performance 4340 35 spline inner and outer with Spicer 1480 u-joints. Outer assemblies include 1 ton outer knuckles featuring Currie "high steer" steering arm and ball joints installed, Currie exclusive 1 ton unit bearings with 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern and JK tone rings allowing for ABS and ESP retention, 13" vented rotors (over 1" greater diameter than stock for increased braking), zinc plated caliper brackets that allow the use of the stock JK front calipers, Currie drive flanges or premium manual locking hubs, and our heavy duty 1 1/4" o.d. 4130 chrome moly tie rod with tie rod ends. Additional parts needed to complete this unit are a high pinion Dana 60 ring and pinion gear set, Dana 60 35 spline carrier of your choice, and a bearing & set up kit. Assembly labor of this unit is included in the price!

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2996

Last edited by David @ Currie Ent.; 07-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TeraFlex axles will be JK specific designed True 1 Ton and will use the 5 on 5" pattern. We have several features on this new axle that we are not at liberty to devulge yet.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 07-10-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Hey David, is your 60 available in the same width as stock? I was checking out Eddie's with the Dynatracs and they appear much wider. I don't really want to go that wide, although it may be the 15.5 inch tires he has and the backspacing of the wheels.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex axles will be JK specific designed True 1 Ton and will use the 5 on 5" pattern. We have several features on this new axle that we are not at liberty to devulge yet.
When are they coming out?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.
We can build you a RJ 60 with stock outters in order to retain the stock 5 x 5 bolt pattern. There is no way to have 5 x 5 on a true 1 Ton front end due to the size of the locking hub. You must have a wheel with a 4.25" center bore.

My recommendation would be to get a "true" 1 ton 60.

Part #: JK-RJIIIF
Our Price:$4,999.95

Description: The RockJock® III high pinion frontend assembly for the 2007 and up Jeep JK includes the complete housing featuring the 65-45-12 ductile iron housing center (highest ground clearance 60 on the market), AR400 heat treated bottom skid plate allowing the axle to slide over rocks easily, 3" d.o.m. steel tubes, 1 ton inner knuckles, 5/16" thick heavy steel diff cover, yoke (1310/1330/1350 optional), and all new heavy duty Currie Jeep JK suspension brackets mounted with Johnny Joint® equipped upper control arm mounts for maximum articulation. Axles shafts are the Currie performance 4340 35 spline inner and outer with Spicer 1480 u-joints. Outer assemblies include 1 ton outer knuckles featuring Currie "high steer" steering arm and ball joints installed, Currie exclusive 1 ton unit bearings with 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern and JK tone rings allowing for ABS and ESP retention, 13" vented rotors (over 1" greater diameter than stock for increased braking), zinc plated caliper brackets that allow the use of the stock JK front calipers, Currie drive flanges or premium manual locking hubs, and our heavy duty 1 1/4" o.d. 4130 chrome moly tie rod with tie rod ends. Additional parts needed to complete this unit are a high pinion Dana 60 ring and pinion gear set, Dana 60 35 spline carrier of your choice, and a bearing & set up kit. Assembly labor of this unit is included in the price!

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2996

Thanks David, so I think you are saying you could build it 5x5 but you don't recoment it because it would not be a true 1 ton axle and would be weaker. So I really would need to order both the front and rear axle at the same time to make sure the bolt patterns and widths match or I may have issues right? I can't see running different wheels from the front to the back!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Teraflex 5x5 on a true one ton

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Thanks Joe, I love your stuff as you know and Mark (from Tera) has already sold me on your gear... I NEED the axle NOW though. That is the real dillemma hear. I can't keep breaking these spider gears every other week!

How did you overcome the 4.25" true one ton hubs fitting on a 5x5 bolt pattern? From what Currie said it doesn't sound like that works. Did you find a way to keep the 5x5 and ensure one ton build quality. Currie sounded pretty sure that would make them weaker, or at least that was what I interpreted them to say!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ryanclimbs
Thanks David, so I think you are saying you could build it 5x5 but you don't recoment it because it would not be a true 1 ton axle and would be weaker. So I really would need to order both the front and rear axle at the same time to make sure the bolt patterns and widths match or I may have issues right? I can't see running different wheels from the front to the back!
It will be weaker that a true 1 Ton because you will be using 30 spline inner axles and stock size axle joints. When you go to the true 1 Ton you will be using 35 spline inner and outter axles with a 1480 joint. You would be using 60 gears and locker.
You can buy all your wheels 5 x 5.5 and get a set of adapter/spacer for the rear that conver from 5 x 5 to 5 x 5.5

Originally Posted by Ryanclimbs
Thanks Joe, I love your stuff as you know and Mark (from Tera) has already sold me on your gear... I NEED the axle NOW though. That is the real dillemma hear. I can't keep breaking these spider gears every other week!

How did you overcome the 4.25" true one ton hubs fitting on a 5x5 bolt pattern? From what Currie said it doesn't sound like that works. Did you find a way to keep the 5x5 and ensure one ton build quality. Currie sounded pretty sure that would make them weaker, or at least that was what I interpreted them to say!
With the current type of available locking hubs your only choice is 4.25" bore wheel, and as far as I know there is no wheel available with 5 x 5 and 4.25" bore.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default d44

pick up a cheap d44 from someone out of a rubi cheaper and youll get a locker if you want actually scratch that ud have to put the locker in the back also but yeh its much cheaper go that route i believe

Quick Reply: Dana 60 in the front?!