Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top

Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just accomplished this with the same basic theory, but slightly different hardware:

1x Thule TB60
2x M5 fender washers since the kit came with 12
2x nylock stop nuts since the kit came with 12
2x 3/4"x1/8" steel flat bar from Ace Hardware
1x can of Krylon black, self-etching spray paint
1x Copious amounts of 100% black silicone

2x Yakima 'Landing Pad 1' pairs
4x Yakima Skyline Towers
4x Yakima SKS lock cores
1x Yakima JetStream crossbars pairs
1x Yakima FatCat 6 ski/snowboard mounts pairs

I started with the Thule system and wanted to go more aerodynamic than the square/round crossbars, so I began looking at aerobars. My local REI explained to me why the Yakima system is a slightly cleaner install while also having the benefit of being marginally less expensive than Thule. My install is probably a hair more aerodynamic and quieter, but certainly more expensive. Otherwise, my solution is basically the same as icrashbikes's. This system will later see a kayak mount and maybe a cargo basket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vge1g4k.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	680241

Name:	pxt0DmV.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	680242

Name:	jc4T1Lf.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	680243
Old 11-20-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superboo
I just accomplished this with the same basic theory, but slightly different hardware:

I started with the Thule system and wanted to go more aerodynamic than the square/round crossbars, so I began looking at aerobars. My local REI explained to me why the Yakima system is a slightly cleaner install while also having the benefit of being marginally less expensive than Thule. My install is probably a hair more aerodynamic and quieter, but certainly more expensive. Otherwise, my solution is basically the same as icrashbikes's. This system will later see a kayak mount and maybe a cargo basket.
Looks great Superboo! Nice work

I'm in the process of installing an old XJ Roof Rack on my rig using the same basic theory you two used. One thing I'm trying to decide is whether or not to install a rail/crossbar section on each of the freedom panels as well like some of the others have done. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon and I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice! I went with the square bars on mine just for continuity. I have square bard for the hard top, direct to the roll bars, on the woman's GTI, on the basket that goes on any of these racks.. I had the original Thule aerobars on a vw rabbit a long time ago and I liked them a lot. After those were stolen, I did a rack with the aeroblade or whatever the current Thule aero bar is and they just whistled constantly. So that was it, back to square. BTW this rack is still going strong today, no leaks.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at doing this - would love to see the photos...

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I just linked this thread to somewhere else so I figure an update is in order. It's been almost exactly 4 years that the rack has been on and all is well. I've loaded all kinds of stuff up top with no issues. Never a drip inside, haven't had to reseal a thing. Very satisfied, would recommend as a long term solution. To fairly recent questions:

I have considered hanging the top by the rack but I have not tried. I just don't care for the opposite loading. Everything is tight enough that I think it would be fine, but I just prefer not to push my luck.

As far as weatherproofing, I used silicone sealant between the tracks and the top as well as a glop of silicone in each bolt hole. Nothing on the interior side.

No structural issues in the fiberglass. No cracks, bending, etc. that I can see.

Aaaaaaand, some glamour shots!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Another victim of the photobucket catastrophe. Looks like I did this on October 2012 so it's officially been over 5 years installed. Zero malfunctions. I'll attach a bunch of installation/in use shots.

Last edited by icrashbikes; 01-02-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

The following users liked this post:
Joe_and_his_Willy (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Did a Thule roof rack on a 2 door hard top