Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a chance to use my Freespirit Recreation Adventure Series Manual 60 RTT this weekend. Full write up- Freespirit recreation - Expedition Portal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	674659
Old 09-03-2017, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our ARB Simpson III in action.

Name:	Utah 2017_487.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	674660Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah 2017_493.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	674661Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah 2017_126.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	674662
Old 09-03-2017, 11:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Apparently I was following Mark around last week.Attachment 674655Attachment 674656Attachment 674657Attachment 674658
Apparently! LOL.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
That's interesting, because we have a great deal of reclaimed strip mine land in Indiana that has been turned into beautiful forest land and even a couple of nice off-road vehicle parks. I'm not advocating selling land wholesale to industry but it is intellectually dishonest, or just ignorant, for you to make the statement that they destroy the land and that it can't be reclaimed or even managed appropriately.

Your first sentence is exactly what I am saying, so thanks for repeating it. The moderate voices in both parties have been completely drowned out and overwhelmed. Extremism prevails today, and you don't have to open your eyes but for a second to see that.
Originally Posted by Erok
I'm saying specifically, the most recent moves to sell off large chunks of protected land is coming from one party. It's not extremism on my part to say that. If the Democrats were doing it, I'd be mad at them for it. Part of avoiding extremism is also being able to accept when your own party is doing unforgiveable things that should be stopped, and not holding the party line or saying "it's both sides" when the focus is clearly in one place in that instance.

Again... I'm not trying to draw lines across the board that apply to every situation. But let's be honest about who is trying to reverse the protection of a huge chunk of our nature preserves TODAY.

hey guys, I do believe this is about "Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!" and the trips we take with them, PLEASE leave the other stuff at home or take it someplace else
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NMBruce
hey guys, I do believe this is about "Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!" and the trips we take with them, PLEASE leave the other stuff at home or take it someplace else
That conversation ended 4 days ago, and it actually was about one of the places someone might want to go. We've moved on, so thanks.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got to put my XJ/ZJ Roof Rack and LoadWarrior basket to work. Drove down to Bend for a Bachelor Party, then drove back up to Mt. Hood National Forest to meet up with my wife and bro-in-law to camp out and catch a glimpse of the eclipse (within path of totality). I didn't get as many good pics as I wanted to, especially of the forest roads we took on the way back to hit Estacada, but here are a few shots of the weekend excursion

Loaded up and ready to roll:

Name:	IMG_20170818_142229087_HDR.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	674755

Shot of Mt. Hood as I drove past Gov't Camp.

Name:	IMG_20170818_161158606_HDR.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	674759

Shot of Mt. Hood on the way back to Mt. Hood Natl' Forest.

Name:	IMG_20170820_124000936_HDR.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	674760

Taking a quick break after driving around looking for the perfect camping spot.

Name:	IMG_20170820_153859735.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	915.7 KB
ID:	674761

Found it. Didn't get a pic of the tents set up, but this was the entrance to an old service road. No one around, perfect!

Name:	IMG_20170820_170520919.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	674762

Eclipse time... didn't even have to leave the camp site. The sun lined up perfectly with the forest service road (skyline rd).

Name:	Eclipse_1_MDA.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	674756

Name:	Eclipse_2_MDA.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	674757

Name:	Eclipse_Diamond_MDA.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	674758

View of Mt. Hood from NF-58 on the way back to 224 to Estacada.

Name:	Mt_Hood_MDA.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	674763
Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I need a used 3.8 engine with low miles

I just ruined my engine crossing a too deep creek. We took the plugs out and it will turn manually part way around in both directions and then stop. Our local dealer said that hydrolocked engines often have many damaged parts and it would be best to replace it. There should be many 3.8s out there at engine swop shops that have installed V8s in JKs. I would like to find an engine at a shop that could install it for me. Any advice from forum members would be much appreciated. Prefer to find one within reasonable distance from Pocatello, Idaho.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to hear about your engine. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with anyplace in your area with them. You might contact AEV in Michigan. I'm pretty sure they'd have a bunch of 3.8's laying around. Maybe they'd ship one. Otherwise, I'd look at a Jasper rebuild or something like that. I know of a shop in my area that rebuilds them and claims to fix the source of the problem that causes the famous oil burning issue. Maybe there is an outfit like that somewhere near you.

My question:

Is there an app or web site with a database of overlanding routes in the US? Magellan looks like they've attempted it but the reviews are poor.

It would be neat to collect routes from different regions of the country, especially areas where they might be harder to find.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
I just ruined my engine crossing a too deep creek. We took the plugs out and it will turn manually part way around in both directions and then stop. Our local dealer said that hydrolocked engines often have many damaged parts and it would be best to replace it. There should be many 3.8s out there at engine swop shops that have installed V8s in JKs. I would like to find an engine at a shop that could install it for me. Any advice from forum members would be much appreciated. Prefer to find one within reasonable distance from Pocatello, Idaho.
A cautionary tale, above. "I don't need a snorkel, snorkels are for posers".......The AEV snorkel costs less than $400.00 and can be installed in less than two hours, including cutting the hood and allowing for the paint to dry. I call it "cheap insurance".

Name:	Utah 2017_243.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	674791
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
I just ruined my engine crossing a too deep creek. ...
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Of the three shops that I know that do the installs, the already mentioned AEV is the closest. Not sure why a hemi-removal would be any better than scouring local junkyards for a low mileage JK that was totaled. Or, you can check out the remans on E-Bay for a bit over 4 grand.

Originally Posted by dmwil
... Is there an app or web site with a database of overlanding routes in the US? Magellan looks like they've attempted it but the reviews are poor. ...
I had a friend a few years ago who tried to set up a site, but it never panned out. The problem is a great many folks jealously guard their routes for a variety of reasons:
  • You want solitude the next time you go.
  • You can't trust people to not trash a place.
  • You don't want to be responsible for people getting in over their head or other trouble out there.
  • What good is a secret spot that everyone knows about?

What I will tell you is that there are thousands of creative routes that can be put together by anyone who takes the time to scour over maps. The state Gazetteers are your friend. So are the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) put out by the U.S. Forest Service. YouTube videos, and trip reports on websites such as here are, too. They provide info that maps may hide, such as closed gates, private property, difficulty of routes, etc. There are also widely dispersed websites that provide info on particular states or regions, often with free or modestly priced custom maps and .gpx files. Finally, there are a few guidebooks here and there that provide info on routes. Along the lines of those last couple points, check out:
  • The Backcountry Discovery Routes series from Touratech/Butler Maps.
  • The Charles Wells state off-road and backcountry road guide books and see what trails he lists might make suitable overlanding routes.
  • The Mojave Trail guidebook by Dennis Casabier.
  • The TransAmerica Trail and related offshoots.

Some national parks and monuments also offer incredible overlanding opportunities, so check out the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps for them, including:
  • Death Valley and adjacent BLM lands.
  • Big Bend and adjacent Big Bend Ranch State Park.
  • Grand Canyon on adjacent BLM and NF lands and, with appropriate permit, Navajo Nation land.
  • Capitol Reef and adjacent BLM and NF lands.
  • Canyonlands and adjacent BLM lands.
  • Grand Staircase-Escalante National Momument.
  • Bears Ears National Monument and adjacent USFS and BLM lands, including the Abajo and Henry Mountains.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-10-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!