Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Of the three shops that I know that do the installs, the already mentioned AEV is the closest. Not sure why a hemi-removal would be any better than scouring local junkyards for a low mileage JK that was totaled. Or, you can check out the remans on E-Bay for a bit over 4 grand.

I had a friend a few years ago who tried to set up a site, but it never panned out. The problem is a great many folks jealously guard their routes for a variety of reasons:
  • You want solitude the next time you go.
  • You can't trust people to not trash a place.
  • You don't want to be responsible for people getting in over their head or other trouble out there.
  • What good is a secret spot that everyone knows about?

What I will tell you is that there are thousands of creative routes that can be put together by anyone who takes the time to scour over maps. The state Gazetteers are your friend. So are the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) put out by the U.S. Forest Service. YouTube videos, and trip reports on websites such as here are, too. They provide info that maps may hide, such as closed gates, private property, difficulty of routes, etc. There are also widely dispersed websites that provide info on particular states or regions, often with free or modestly priced custom maps and .gpx files. Finally, there are a few guidebooks here and there that provide info on routes. Along the lines of those last couple points, check out:
  • The Backcountry Discovery Routes series from Touratech/Butler Maps.
  • The Charles Wells state off-road and backcountry road guide books and see what trails he lists might make suitable overlanding routes.
  • The Mojave Trail guidebook by Dennis Casabier.
  • The TransAmerica Trail and related offshoots.

Some national parks and monuments also offer incredible overlanding opportunities, so check out the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps for them, including:
  • Death Valley and adjacent BLM lands.
  • Big Bend and adjacent Big Bend Ranch State Park.
  • Grand Canyon on adjacent BLM and NF lands and, with appropriate permit, Navajo Nation land.
  • Capitol Reef and adjacent BLM and NF lands.
  • Canyonlands and adjacent BLM lands.
  • Grand Staircase-Escalante National Momument.
  • Bears Ears National Monument and adjacent USFS and BLM lands, including the Abajo and Henry Mountains.
Wow, thanks for the resources, Mark! Good points on why some might not want to publicize the routes.

I'd love to find some here in the midwest, for shorter trips when I have shorter periods of time off. I'll be scouring the west through some of thes resources, though, for a bigger trip one day.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 505 performance stroker

I'm going to check out the auto salvage yards in addition to the Jeep swap shops, but wanted to get an engine from someone who could also do the swap for me. In checking online for an engine yesterday I see where I can get a tricked out stroker 4.1 liter engine from 505 Performance in NM. It is pricey, but might be worth it for the increased performance. I'll be checking with them about this today. Anyone know anything about these engines?

I know there will be folks saying just swap in a V8, but that is out of my price range.

Although I am anxious to get my baby back on the road, I'll not be making a hasty decision on this. My hope is that I can tow the Jeep to a shop with an engine and wait for the swap to be made and then tow it home. I tow behind a motorhome, so waiting a day or two somewhere wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 505 has mixed reviews but it's one I've kept my eye on to see if it's an option for me down the road.

My "expedition" build recently got a new top and a roof rack will come on when the summer rolls back around. Trektop pro hybrid- so far, so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_180502.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	674803
Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Made decision on engine

Just wanted to let the forum know that I've ordered a remanufactured engine from AutoZone and have made arrangements with a local repair shop that I trust to install it. I appreciate the feedback from forum members, & don't need to keep this thread going. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
Just wanted to let the forum know that I've ordered a remanufactured engine from AutoZone and have made arrangements with a local repair shop that I trust to install it. I appreciate the feedback from forum members, & don't need to keep this thread going. Thanks!
.....this thread is on a completely different topic. Related though- I've got a friend with the AutoZone motor. He doesn't have the jeep anymore even though AutoZone made good on replacing defective motors. How many do you want to replace is the real question. He was on motor #5 or 6 when the jeep sold.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Part 3 of Solar Eclipse Expedition is now online. It includes passing the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Hell's Half Acre and Craters of the Moon in Idaho, and Hat Point along the Oregon/Idaho border.

https://youtu.be/TSCjAkGjCGA
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Idaho visit

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Part 3 of Solar Eclipse Expedition is now online. It includes passing the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Hell's Half Acre and Craters of the Moon in Idaho, and Hat Point along the Oregon/Idaho border.

https://youtu.be/TSCjAkGjCGA
Great video as always Mark. There is actually a Jeep trail in Hells Half Acre that you would have enjoyed. Too bad you didn't know about it, but if you ever get back this way be sure and let me know and I'll take you there. You wouldn't have wanted to do it alone. The main trail is not real tough, but there are several optional obstacles that we like to do for more of a challenge. It is outside the WSA, but goes right through the rough cinder like lava that you could see along the road to the hiking trail and in Craters of the Moon.

You went right through my part of the country so the Idaho scenery you showed in your video is our local stuff. I enjoy watching your videos, but the wife and I don't do the Jeep camping thing as we are in our 70s and have a motorhome to flat tow the Jeep. The ATV riding here is plentiful, which we also do, but we're kind of limited on nearby Jeep trails. Still, if you ever get back this way I could show you the Hells Half Acre trail and a few others that you would enjoy. I would even try Jeep camping with you, as I've done it with my brother, but I know my wife wouldn't join us.

Keep those awesome videos coming and I hope we can hook up some day, somewhere.

ps. My avatar photo was taken on the Hells Half Acre trail.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
Great video as always Mark. There is actually a Jeep trail in Hells Half Acre that you would have enjoyed. Too bad you didn't know about it, but if you ever get back this way be sure and let me know and I'll take you there. You wouldn't have wanted to do it alone. The main trail is not real tough, but there are several optional obstacles that we like to do for more of a challenge. It is outside the WSA, but goes right through the rough cinder like lava that you could see along the road to the hiking trail and in Craters of the Moon.

You went right through my part of the country so the Idaho scenery you showed in your video is our local stuff. I enjoy watching your videos, but the wife and I don't do the Jeep camping thing as we are in our 70s and have a motorhome to flat tow the Jeep. The ATV riding here is plentiful, which we also do, but we're kind of limited on nearby Jeep trails. Still, if you ever get back this way I could show you the Hells Half Acre trail and a few others that you would enjoy. I would even try Jeep camping with you, as I've done it with my brother, but I know my wife wouldn't join us.

Keep those awesome videos coming and I hope we can hook up some day, somewhere.

ps. My avatar photo was taken on the Hells Half Acre trail.
Thanks for the offer, Clark, I'll keep it in mind! I did see on my map that there was much more to explore. The day was getting late and Hell's Half Acre was something I spotted as I was driving along and thought, "What the hey?" I actually spent about an hour there setting up cameras, getting shots, etc. It always takes me longer to get through a place, and most especially when by myself and no one is nagging me, LOL.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Part 4 of my solar eclipse trip is now online. It includes the drive from La Grande to Mitchell (paved road), Painted Hills and part of section 4 of the OBDR ...

https://youtu.be/MTqaaceZkMk
Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I haven't been doing a very good job keeping this thread updated with my video progress. The entire series is done and now online. Here's the link to the last part (7) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQppWK5YbN8

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!