Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Fix for Daystar dash panel not fitting properly

Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, i just switched the clamps and it fit great.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem and just wacked a couple of small screws into the back where you can't see them between the edge of the panel and the dash and hasn't moved since. A little redneck yes but damn it's a jeep son !! Just use a small stubby screwdriver and you're all set !
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mostlystock
Installed a Daystar dash panel today to replace the factory one. At least on the JK, these are prone to popping off because they just don't fit as well as the factory panel. Seems like there's something causing pressure underneath it to force the back end (where the clips are) up a little bit. Well that's because.. there is!

The difference between factory and Daystar units is the well / tray that's recessed down into the Daystar unit (tray for sunglasses, wallet, whatever). Turns out the well doesn't completely clear the top-most cross member of the trim piece that covers the stereo/vents/etc. Solution is to shave off about half an inch of the trim piece, so the tray doesn't run into it.

Also, gently bent the two retaining clips out a little before reinstalling them (you re-use the factory ones).

Now the Daystar panel fits perfectly and doesn't need to be forced on, as it does pre-trimming. You'll also notice that the lip of the Daystar panel doesn't warp anymore above the stereo.

I'll get pics when it's light out. Just had to share the good news.
Any pics yet? I just placed my order and would like to see what I need to do before trying to install. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eman
Any pics yet? I just placed my order and would like to see what I need to do before trying to install. Thanks!
Uh oh. I traded in the 2-door for a 4-door before I remembered to get the pics.

But if you send me a pic of what the dash looks like when you remove the factory panel, I'll mark it up showing where to cut and send it right back.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Mine fit fine
Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

I managed to bend one of the clips out a little and got mine t fit snug and perfect. It can be a little frustrating.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I managed to bend one of the clips out a little and got mine t fit snug and perfect. It can be a little frustrating.
X-2 Have taken off couple times goes back on without a hitch.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThrashN
Mine fit fine
Mine too, and no issues with the compass at all. My droid phone fits perfect in the front section.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Clips

Originally Posted by rutdigger
Just spend a little extra time to "Re-compress" the clips and you will be fine.

Compass was all screwed up for a few days but seemed to figure out where it was after that.

Quick Reply: Fix for Daystar dash panel not fitting properly