Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade roof rack

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
The problem I have with roof racks is that they make the mpg's even worse.I prefer to stow things using the hitch. Man I wish I had the skills to build those,though. Nice work!
Hitch storage is good. I thought of that but with bikes off the back and 4-wheeling...I was concerned about dragging that gear on the ground. then again, I 've caught more trees on handle bars than I'd like to admit (maybe just ditch the bikes altogether, but I love all fat tires).

Not to mention my rack by itself caught on a tree and thus pulled into wind shield and breaking it. No win situation with the racks I guess.

Kudos to they guys who build their own stuff.. that's an awesome feeling.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin
the rack I made is a bit overkill but I think it looks good for my rig. here are two pictures.

Dude, that's awsome. How did you attach it at the back. i want to build one that fits over the soft and hard tops to carry yaks.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we also build the fenders as you can see in the picture, so I left some tabs on them to tie the rack frame, I don't know how I would have done it on regular fenders, but I'm sure there's a way.

Quick Reply: Homemade roof rack