Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Homemade Tire Carrier

Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Tire Carrier

I've posted a few pictures in various threads around here of the new tire carrier that I made for the jeep and have gotten a lot of questions about it so I thought I would start its own thread.

So I ditched my rear LoD tire carrier since i felt it to be too heavy, and i just wanted to build my own stuff I threw around a bunch of different idea's for a rear bumper/tire carrier and when I found out a friend had bought a new tube bender I knew I wanted to make something similar to the EVO style tire carrier that was on their rig for a while.

So this was the build process:
I needed something to mount the tire carrier to so I went with the river raider crusher corners and added on my own tabs on which the tire carrier would mount to:

next up was bending the tubing for the cage:
test fitting:

mocking up stinger:

holes of tail lights cut out and getting an idea of what it will look like:

carrier finished:

little canadian details:

looks pretty mean:

last thing to do was add a mount for my rotopax jerry can:

while i had use of a tube bender i figured a stinger for the front might be in order as well:

thats it, thats all. next project is to build a simple rear bumper to cover up the frame ends at the back.

Last edited by 07Rubi2dr; 04-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

turned out really nice..........i'm diggin it.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

You did a great job bud

I would love to make one... I just started welding and have not made it to the tube bending side yet..

It look good bud keep the builds comming..

Chad
Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude great write up! Thanks for taking the time to document and share!! And love the Maple Leaf Gusset nice custom touch!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Really nice work dude. So it looks like you ordered the corners w/o the light holes and then cut your own holes after you fabbed up your tabs? I've been sketching up something similar and the tail light placement had been an issue but it looks like you've resolved that. Sweet.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

looks awesome! does your tire carrier swing out so you can access the tailgate to get inside? or is it welded shut to never be opened? love the idea though.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

probably one of the best tire carriers i've seen on here i'd buy one if you started to sell em'
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

nice looks great
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the comments guys

Originally Posted by jkJason
Really nice work dude. So it looks like you ordered the corners w/o the light holes and then cut your own holes after you fabbed up your tabs? I've been sketching up something similar and the tail light placement had been an issue but it looks like you've resolved that. Sweet.
yup, just asked him to leave the light buckets out and I put them where they would work best with my carrier.
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
looks awesome! does your tire carrier swing out so you can access the tailgate to get inside? or is it welded shut to never be opened? love the idea though.
yup it swings out just like any other tire carrier, its a little bit more effort to get into the tailgate (removing the pins etc) but its not too bad. One of the pictures shows it swung open.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

You are one CRAZY SOB! But I have to say, it looks AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Homemade Tire Carrier