Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Pls Help Building a Junkyard axle front and rear

Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls Help Building a Junkyard axle front and rear

I have a 07 JK 2dr and am looking to build some dana 60 axles for the front and rear. I have all the tools needed and experience in fabrication. I am just wondering what axles would fit the best in the Jeep and what other brackets/parts would I need to buy/fabricate to make the axles work properly for a DD. I plan on putting it on 40"s and locking the front and rear as well, plus regearing it to either 5:13 or 5:38.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited by eckj; 01-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eckj
I have a 07 JK 2dr and am looking to build some dana 60 axles for the front and rear. I have all the tools needed and experience in fabrication. I am just wondering what axles would fit the best in the Jeep and what other brackets/parts would I need to buy/fabricate to make the axles work properly for a DD. I plan on putting it on 40"s and locking the front and rear as well, plus regearing it to either 5:13 or 5:38.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Not saying that I'm an expert but I'd say almost every 60 out there will have to be cut down. Especially a front 60. As for a DD, you probably will not be pleased. The last Wrangler I rode in running those tires and similar gearing topped out around 55-60 mph. Those big axles and tires are great for the trail.......or on a 3/4 ton DD truck.....but not in a 2 door jeep without a Hemi or small block V8 swap. Just way too much unsprung weight.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also look at sterling 10.50 and 14 bolts for rear options.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vtminer
Not saying that I'm an expert but I'd say almost every 60 out there will have to be cut down. Especially a front 60. As for a DD, you probably will not be pleased. The last Wrangler I rode in running those tires and similar gearing topped out around 55-60 mph. Those big axles and tires are great for the trail.......or on a 3/4 ton DD truck.....but not in a 2 door jeep without a Hemi or small block V8 swap. Just way too much unsprung weight.
I disagree and routinely run 70-75 in my jeep without issues. There is no reason to cut the axles done as the after market 60s are the same WMS to WMS as the junkyard 60s most people are putting in their jeep. . Maybe you should type less.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Yea i was thinking of the 14 bolt over the sterling due to the reason that the sterlings dont work properly with the jk fuel tank, sorry that i forgot to add the 14 bolt rear in the O/P

thanks for the input
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08

I disagree and routinely run 70-75 in my jeep without issues. There is no reason to cut the axles done as the after market 60s are the same WMS to WMS as the junkyard 60s most people are putting in their jeep. . Maybe you should type less.
Don't cut them down then. He asked about juxkyard axles. Most of them will be coming out of full size trucks with a much wider wheel base than our jeeps. You are just going to have to have some seriously wide fender flares to cover the tires and keep it street legal. He asked an opinion. I gave one. Personally, I could get in 80% of the areas with 35's or 37's with beefed up 44's and still keep a decent DD. Is it going to make it up any if the Hammer trails? Not without a lot of carnage. But hey, I would take a trailer queen to those and still ride home in comfort at the end of the day and make it to work Monday morning. And you can argue with me all day, but you can't argue with the numbers. The unsprung weight is a power drain. Add to that armor and all the other crap on and in a jeep that it's either not practical to take on and off or that we just leave in them and it'll take 3 miles of interstate to get even up to speed. Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should or is the best option.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vtminer
Don't cut them down then. He asked about juxkyard axles. Most of them will be coming out of full size trucks with a much wider wheel base than our jeeps. You are just going to have to have some seriously wide fender flares to cover the tires and keep it street legal. He asked an opinion. I gave one. Personally, I could get in 80% of the areas with 35's or 37's with beefed up 44's and still keep a decent DD. Is it going to make it up any if the Hammer trails? Not without a lot of carnage. But hey, I would take a trailer queen to those and still ride home in comfort at the end of the day and make it to work Monday morning. And you can argue with me all day, but you can't argue with the numbers. The unsprung weight is a power drain. Add to that armor and all the other crap on and in a jeep that it's either not practical to take on and off or that we just leave in them and it'll take 3 miles of interstate to get even up to speed. Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should or is the best option.
I am so amazed at your ability to transverse difficult terrain on 35s and dana 44s. I have also transversed difficult terrain with the same setup, but I wanted more. Again I repeat, you shouldn't type. If you want to talk numbers we can talk numbers, yes it has more unsprung weight, but my rig weighs less than 5000lbs. How many can say that about there unlimited with dana 44s and 35s? The statement of being practical is just ridiculous. There is nothing practical about a jeep period, but my jeep does get 14 miles to the gallon on 40s. Also my jeep is geared to 5.38 and routinely run 70-75 at 2000 rpm and it gets there quickly, it sure as hell does not take 3 miles. My state does not have fenders laws, and the op did not ask about fender coverage of a dana 60 equiped jeep. I will also reiterate my point that dynatrac and currie aftermarket dana 60s for the jk are the same width as the junk yard axles people are putting in their jk. I drive my jeep to o the trails, on the trails, and to work in comfort. It is like riding in a cloud of titties on and off the road. Now hopefully the idiot will keep stupid opinions to himself and we can get back on track.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eckj

Thanks,
Jeremy
A 14 bolt in the rear and a dana 60 out of a 77.5-79 f350 or snowfighter F250 would be great axles to put under a jk. I have axles out of a 2002 F350 and work well. I used rock krawler long arm kit front and rear for my control arms. I am runnign 14 inch travel RRD coilovers in the front with the rock krawler coilover mounts. The rear I have custom mounts for my 14 inch travel ORIs. My trackbar brackets are from ruff stuff specialties, as well as my heims for the track bars, tie rod, and drag link. I used 1.5 .250 dom for my steering links and track bars. My axle mounts for control arms are a mix of ruff stuff and rock krawler. I used 3/4 heims for my track bar and 7/8 heims for steering. Also jeep speed shop has a kit that will provide your sensors for the rear 14 bolt.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

If you are worried about fender laws you can always run stock non-recentered H1 beadlocks to bring back in the tires for tire coverage on junkyard axles. The main issue there is that the lockout hub will protrude out past the edge of the tire. I am currently rebuilding a '79 F350 axle and working out the kinks.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08

I am so amazed at your ability to transverse difficult terrain on 35s and dana 44s. I have also transversed difficult terrain with the same setup, but I wanted more. Again I repeat, you shouldn't type. If you want to talk numbers we can talk numbers, yes it has more unsprung weight, but my rig weighs less than 5000lbs. How many can say that about there unlimited with dana 44s and 35s? The statement of being practical is just ridiculous. There is nothing practical about a jeep period, but my jeep does get 14 miles to the gallon on 40s. Also my jeep is geared to 5.38 and routinely run 70-75 at 2000 rpm and it gets there quickly, it sure as hell does not take 3 miles. My state does not have fenders laws, and the op did not ask about fender coverage of a dana 60 equiped jeep. I will also reiterate my point that dynatrac and currie aftermarket dana 60s for the jk are the same width as the junk yard axles people are putting in their jk. I drive my jeep to o the trails, on the trails, and to work in comfort. It is like riding in a cloud of titties on and off the road. Now hopefully the idiot will keep stupid opinions to himself and we can get back on track.
Red- I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you. We are on 2 different wavelengths regarding this topic. We have both stated our opinions. And yes, I will continue to express my opinion regardless of whether you think I should type or not. And by the way, my state requires fenders so having the tires covered is something I have to consider to stay street legal.

Quick Reply: Pls Help Building a Junkyard axle front and rear