Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Solidworks tailgate file (for those wanting to make custom spare tire carriers, etc)

Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D and 2D CAD tailgate renderings/blueprints

Drew this up tonight. It's not 100% refined by any means, but the hole locations are all correct. dimensions all verified, etc. I didn't worry about anything on the inside of the gate. I just wanted a good representation of where everything mounted. To clarify, it is a representation of what your tailgate would look like if you took everything off of it. From here, you could place different hinges, brackets, mounts, bump stops, etc, and make sure it all fit, pull dimensions, etc before actually buying/cutting steel.

Here's a photo reference for all the holes:

If you want the file as it sits, I''ll post it. If you see something that should be changed/added, etc, let me know.

I don't know that it would convert well to an autocad file, as there are a LOT of geometric relations in this file and I've never tried to see how those translate into acad.

I made all the bolt holes at .375" diameter mainly so they'd show up. I didn't bother with thread callouts. If someone knows what the thread specs are (I'm guessing M6-1.25?) let me know and I will change them to hole wizard holes.

Last edited by TimberwolfFXDL; 03-31-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just realized what it was...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tavic
Just realized what it was...
oh ok. I was confused too... guess I didn't make it clear that it was a model of the tailgate that could be used to design spare tire carriers and such
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Created the blue print of the hole layout. It can be had in both solidworks and autocad format. I haven't tried converting it to anything else since those are the two titles I have and wouldn't be able to verify success of anything else.

Here's a preview:

It's drawn 1/4 scale on a C size sheet in case you wanted to have it printed somewhere for easier reference.

Last edited by TimberwolfFXDL; 03-31-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 AM
JK Newbie

Hi!
Can someone share those SW model or blueprint in PDF or DWG/DXF?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 AM
L2R
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is pretty cool.

Not sure what software you used but if you will just save the 3d model a as a stp file and a pdf of the 2D drawing, that would help most everyone.
Also, you might consider posting it on grabcad.com.

If you register, you can post this and download what others have done.

Lastly, what specifically is this tailgate? tj, jk or ???
Old 08-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's a JK tailgate.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I can see doing this back in 2011, but dang, it's almost not worth the time and effort these days with as flooded as the market is with them from various manufactures, all the way down to the local craigslist special. Hardly worth reinventing the wheel. Maybe I'm just too lazy.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default Where can I get this schematic?

Originally Posted by TimberwolfFXDL
Created the blue print of the hole layout. It can be had in both solidworks and autocad format. I haven't tried converting it to anything else since those are the two titles I have and wouldn't be able to verify success of anything else.

Here's a preview:

It's drawn 1/4 scale on a C size sheet in case you wanted to have it printed somewhere for easier reference.
Could you please send me this file?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprSurfr
Could you please send me this file?
Member was last on this forum in April of 2012. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Quick Reply: Solidworks tailgate file (for those wanting to make custom spare tire carriers, etc)