Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

KevinMac's Semi-Budget Build...Project Deathstar

Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Last but definitely not least as it took more time than everything else combined...I blacked out the wheels! I did a scuff on them with one of those drill mounted scuffing balls. That worked well for the main surfaces. I then clean out the areas the ball couldnt get to with steel wool. They got an air blow to remove all the dust generated and then a couple of wipe downs with acetone. After cleaning, they got a couple of coats of primer and then 4 coats of Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I went with the gloss black and it turned out ok. Even thought I'm quite the accomplished rattle can artist, the finish turned out a bit splotchy in areas. I tend to suspect it was more the paint than the painter. I see a light sanding in the future and then a light top coat to try to even it out a bit. Anyone have any better ideas?

I almost forgot...which is surprising as I am actually quite proud of these! I own many firearms, one of which is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum. The brass for these things are huge. I don't reload but I do save the brass as I plan to start reloading some day. To personalize a bit, I took some spent casings and ground down the height about 1/4". Then I put a bit of epoxy in the casing and inserted the stock valve stem covers into them. I let them set over night so the epoxy could cure. A quick polish of the brass with steel wool and then a few coats of the same paint I used on the wheels....WAHLAH...custom .44Mag Valve Stem Covers!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im stealing the shell casing idea
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Love that!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, UPS came through and the tail light guards arrived. In the 90F+ heat, they took less than 1 beer to install

Also, I stopped by the dealer on the way home and had a few Mopar options added for my upcoming trip. Since we'll be at a rather large lake, I went ahead and had Pirate and Submarine Modes added. The dealer was running a special, buy 2 get 2 free so I also ended up with 'Self-Destruct' and Invisibility Mode. The tech who did the install wishes they'd stop offering Invisibility Mode because he said its a real bitch to get to work with Canbus!

The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (03-30-2022)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work. I'm stealing a couple ideas for my Jeep
Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

A couple of quick updates heading into the weekend!

First off, having a bit more fun in the interior I ordered up the Drake Shifter Knob. Getting the old knob off was a pita! But...I got to use a hammer so that was fun!

Just a note, the Drake knob was a bit loose on the post of my 2013 so I used a bit of Gorilla Glue in there to affix it.

Also, I put in some new Cree LED Reverse Lights. I found these in a post on this site and they really are a ton brighter. The first photo has only the driver side swapped out. The 2nd photo has both swapped out. For those interested, use this search if you are looking for the same part: 2x 3157 3156 White CREE Q5 + 12 5050 SMD LED Backup Light Bulbs PROJECTOR LENS

I've got a few more fun toys in the works and hope to take delivery before the 4th holiday weekend. I have both a set of takeoff Rubi Rails on the way plus a used soft top...good times!

Last edited by KevinMac; 06-28-2013 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (08-30-2018)
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Happy 4th of July week!

The automotive industry pretty much shuts down for the week while assembly plants do maintenance and/or retool for model year changes so I'm going to take advantage of a bit of down time and relax

I learned a few things about my JKU over the weekend. Having gotten the automatic tranny, I had planned to put an auxillary cooler on it. Well, come to find out they made a running change in '12MY and added one for me. That saves me about $250!

Also, I had "cutting of the pinch seams" on my list of things to do as I'll be moving to larger tires in the future. Once again, our friends at Jeep made a running change for '13MY this time cutting them for us! It seems like they used expandable mastic in there to fill the gap, not a very robust solution so I dug a bit of it out and used a 2 part epoxy to better fill that gap (see photo). Then I hit it with a bit of herculiner as that area is prone to being hit with things like gravel.

One final running change I found was that Jeep incorporated weld nuts into the floorboard where the Rubicon Rails mount. Prior to that U-clips were required. The weld nuts are a much better design. I expect my rails to arrive here in next days and will post up some photos once installed.

The only other accomplishments I had over the weekend (20 minutes tops) was to black out the white lettering on the tires. With everything else pretty much blacked out they stuck out like a sore thumb. I also installed a tinted license plate cover as the new MI plates are white and once again, stood out. Lastly, I debadged the "Jeep" logo from the grill. Seriously, does anyone out there NOT know it's a Jeep without that emblem?

Oh yeh, last thing...I was able to meet up with a fellow forum member and pick up his used Trektop. He was upgrading to a new NX and sold off his old one. I'll install it when I get home from my vacation next week. Thanks again for the hookup Brian!

Costs:
* Tinted License Plate Frame - $10
* Pinch Seam - Freebie
* Auto Tranny Cooler - Freebie
* Tire Black Out - $5

Last edited by KevinMac; 07-23-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are quite welcome my good sir

Jeep's looking good!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Next up, I pulled the grill last evening and took out the trusty soldering iron. Low and behold, the running lights on the fenders are now turn signals too! Like many before me, I have to wonder why Jeep just doesn't do this in the 1st place? As a guide, I used this very imformitive thread I found on this site:

Marker Light Mod

I'm kind of a perfectionist, it's the engineer in me. With that, all joints are soldered and shrink tubed. None of those quick splices were used, I just don't trust them long term

Since I had the grill off, I also took the headlight rings off and sprayed them black. Why not, I was already in there! Below are a couple of 'before' and 'after' shots.

The grill itself is still off. I had hoped to hit it with Plasti-dip last night but was running out of daylight. Therefore, I just gave it a good washing and set it aside to dry overnight. I'll coat it this afternoon and button it all back up.

Costs:
* Marker Light Mod - Freebie
* Headlight Paint - Freebie

Last edited by KevinMac; 07-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

You've wasted no time modding your Jeep. Looks really nice. You've given me some ideas too. I'm in St. Clair Shores and will give you a wave if I see ya!

Quick Reply: KevinMac's Semi-Budget Build...Project Deathstar