Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lange Hoist-A-Top set screw fix - what have you done?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lange Hoist-A-Top set screw fix - what have you done?

I have a Lange hoist-a-top in my garage and another one in our Southern Utah house.

Both have been a pain with the set screws and unthreaded holes they provide to connect the frame together, which basically amounts to a friction fit. They're hard to get in right the first time without stripping and then even when taking a screw out that was threaded in it often won't go back in without stripping. On the one I've had for 7 years I noticed when after use the screws loosen up too. That's too bad because it's a great hoist - just a dismal connector design that shouldn't be considering what they cost. I think the pressure from the arms pressing on the screws when lifting the top pushes on the threads enough to loosen them.

I love both Langes, but the huge flaw is their screw design.

I've considered self tapping screws, tapping threads in the frame, drilling holes through the frame for a thru bolt and even welding them. Don't like welding them in case I want to break them down or make an adjustment later. Haven't tried any fix yet but want to.

What have people done to fix the set screw issue on their Lange?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I welded mine and it works just fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	486816
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
I welded mine and it works just fine. Attachment 486816
Nice garage and floor. I like the tire spot marks that you must use to position the Jeep, I need to do that. I have cabinets like yours all around my garage!

Did you weld it at the joints on the top, bottom or sides or all?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

literally the most awesome setup i've seen. Subscribing immediately
Old 03-29-2018, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, been gone for awhile...but to answer the question..it's welded completely around the joints. The tubing is pretty flimz

Quick Reply: Lange Hoist-A-Top set screw fix - what have you done?