Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Nice looking rig, it's come a long way.
Thanks i appreciate it. It was a big learning experience and ive wasted a bunch of money early on by not doing research. It it nice to try out a few different options. Im still learning and if i were to redo it again itd still be completely different. Its still got flaws as is and isnt perfect by any means. Debating on redoing it again or getting a trail only jeep to go all out on....
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel. Half the time I'm working on my Jeep I feel like just starting over and building something I could race at KOH. Not necessarily to be competitive for the win, but just to be able to go fast AND rock crawl. I feel like I'm actually going to spend more time making this thing a street/rock compromise than just building something dedicated I can have more fun with.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRooster
I know how you feel. Half the time I'm working on my Jeep I feel like just starting over and building something I could race at KOH. Not necessarily to be competitive for the win, but just to be able to go fast AND rock crawl. I feel like I'm actually going to spend more time making this thing a street/rock compromise than just building something dedicated I can have more fun with.
Feel the same!
Something about repairing versus upgrading loses my interest...don't want to but have to in order to keep it on the road.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sm_rubi

Feel the same!
Something about repairing versus upgrading loses my interest...don't want to but have to in order to keep it on the road.
Agreed... It sucks... Hard.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

On one hand I'm glad I didn't max out all my credit cards in the Quadratec catalog, only to realize half the crap I bought was junk.

On the other hand, I wish my stock Rubicon could actually handle the Rubicon. That's kind of why I bought it, so I could have a nice daily driver, but go camping and enjoy the Rubicon trail (and others) like I did years ago with the old K5. I wasn't expecting to have a destroyed cross member, one less gallon of fuel capacity because the stock skid is a joke, a bunch of body damage where the rock rails contacted the body, and a rattling exhaust system. From one trip. I'm not even counting the destroyed plastic bumpers and fenders because I did expect that.

Making my own stuff is proving very cost effective. It's also very time consuming. I just hope I'm not disappointed when I'm done. My Jeep is nowhere near as capable as my K5 was, and it didn't have a front locker. I really need 35's and a small lift to make up the difference. I just don't think I'm prepared to keep poring money into something with payments that can't keep up with my old rig.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Half ass????? I've read shorter books than this. LOL
Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HardRooster
On one hand I'm glad I didn't max out all my credit cards in the Quadratec catalog, only to realize half the crap I bought was junk.

On the other hand, I wish my stock Rubicon could actually handle the Rubicon. That's kind of why I bought it, so I could have a nice daily driver, but go camping and enjoy the Rubicon trail (and others) like I did years ago with the old K5. I wasn't expecting to have a destroyed cross member, one less gallon of fuel capacity because the stock skid is a joke, a bunch of body damage where the rock rails contacted the body, and a rattling exhaust system. From one trip. I'm not even counting the destroyed plastic bumpers and fenders because I did expect that.

Making my own stuff is proving very cost effective. It's also very time consuming. I just hope I'm not disappointed when I'm done. My Jeep is nowhere near as capable as my K5 was, and it didn't have a front locker. I really need 35's and a small lift to make up the difference. I just don't think I'm prepared to keep poring money into something with payments that can't keep up with my old rig.
I agree ive saved alot by making the stuff i did. Also i enjoy doing it and learning more. Hell i even have fun working on my buddies rigs. Also helps for when i break offroad.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by OsiViper
Half ass????? I've read shorter books than this. LOL
Probably true lol, but i didnt go into as much detail or pictures as i wanted to...
Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi

well ordered up a bunch of lights for rock lights. kind of a necessity lately, and i dont really have any. hope they get in tomorrow as we got a run on cobra from 8pm-midnight on saturday.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi

Well finally finished cobra....

Got some small flex in..

But still broke on cobra, so i still cant call it complete.