Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/official-jk-buggy-carolina-truggies-build-thread-8-4-08-a-53661/. It's on page 34 or 35.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronJK
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-4-08-a-53661/. It's on page 34 or 35.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Thanks man, ill have to browse it, mine only shows it as 22 pages.

Edit: got it, its page 13 for me.

Last edited by Maertz; 06-24-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Were your rears outboard? It looks like a nightmare... I didnt start mine yet but plan to very soon. I was debating going thru the tub to keep it simple but would love to outboard. I may have to scroll your build thread again to see how you did them. I know somewhere i saw how dirt rebuilt his frame, thatd be an option to but im struggling to find that pic again lol cant remember what forum i saw it on..
I did 14" CO's outboard on a stock Rubi rear with Barnes towers completely through the frame rail. I had to do all new crossmembers underneath, and some new sheet metal on the tub. I'm a two door and the rear seat still fits. I did a double triangulated rear with 4" stretch. It has about 5.5" up travel and 8.5" down and sits at about 3.5" of lift. It was a pain in the ass, but I'm very happy with it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403623352.369248.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	561588

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403623438.429268.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	561589
More gussets were added after this pic.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403623477.479003.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	561590
Interior with new sheet metal.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403623537.373592.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	561592
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi

Sweet Yeah i need to try and keep my seat incase we bring the dog camping.. Damn dogs messing my build! But its nice to still keep it if i can, just more challenges.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet Yeah i need to try and keep my seat incase we bring the dog camping.. Damn dogs messing my build! But its nice to still keep it if i can, just more challenges.
Keeping the back seat was the biggest challenge of my build, but it's not fun if the whole family can't come.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ringer
Keeping the back seat was the biggest challenge of my build, but it's not fun if the whole family can't come.
I hear ya!

Got the battery mount in

Fuel Pump and Regulator In

Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Still need to run a bar between the hoops yet but figured id see how much I could get back in.

Looks like I will be able to fit everything back in....just have to get the esp and battery back in. It looks like I will be making a new mount for both of those.
Ooowee.... that's going to be tight going over the engine.

Am I missing something??

Were your rears outboard? It looks like a nightmare... I didnt start mine yet but plan to very soon. I was debating going thru the tub to keep it simple but would love to outboard. I may have to scroll your build thread again to see how you did them. I know somewhere i saw how dirt rebuilt his frame, thatd be an option to but im struggling to find that pic again lol cant remember what forum i saw it on..
Backhalf?

Got the battery mount in

Yes... got to be something missing right there!

Anyhow.... looking good Matt.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Ooowee.... that's going to be tight going over the engine.

Am I missing something??

Backhalf?

Yes... got to be something missing right there!

Anyhow.... looking good Matt.
Yeah that cross bar will have to be a damn tight bend, worst case scenario ill cut up the hood a little...

Ha yup was going to mount the fuse box under the battery, but due to the massive amounts of work that would be i am just going to remove my intake box and run a cone filter off there and put the fuse box where that it.

As for the back halt not going that crazy just more along the lines of what dirt and the carolina truggies build did and just notch out that section completely and build the frame back around it....

Hoping to get the fuse box in this weekend and start this thing up for once!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Yeah that cross bar will have to be a damn tight bend, worst case scenario ill cut up the hood a little...

Ha yup was going to mount the fuse box under the battery, but due to the massive amounts of work that would be i am just going to remove my intake box and run a cone filter off there and put the fuse box where that it.

As for the back halt not going that crazy just more along the lines of what dirt and the carolina truggies build did and just notch out that section completely and build the frame back around it....

Hoping to get the fuse box in this weekend and start this thing up for once!

I know... just screwing with ya on the back half. That's just not smart thinking when you have a late model car. Ummm...

I got lucky with the stretch, in that it put that crossbar right between my radiator and engine.

Did you cut down your axles... for some reason I thought you were full width?

And good... I was wondering if that little box was some new fangled TIPM they had on your year, but not mine. I basically did the same as you're thinking of doing with the TIPM. The more wire you strip from the engine harnesses, the easier they become to place. Just deleting the airbags and their various sensors probably lead to nearly half of my big box of wire.

Last edited by ABENDX; 06-26-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Well starting on my frame notches...

Hoping to have these welded in this weekend and cut out the section between them mount the rear shocks up. In the perfect picture this will be standing this weekend, but my plans have usually been changing to much to guarantee this...