JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/maertzs-half-ass-build-thread-294934/)

Maertz 07-24-2014 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX (Post 3955387)
Man you just get all the goodies. ...lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum

Yeah i luck out, its pretty offroad heavy out here and LOTS of people here race, and alot that dont probably could... We all help each other out a ton tool wise and i hook them all up with the supplies they need for them. Down the road I would love to slowly start getting all of these tools for myself, but i just don't have room here and need to sell my old house back home before I can go to crazy..

AaronJK 07-24-2014 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ringer (Post 3955391)
The key with any bender is the cost and availability of the dies. I ended up with a JD2 model 32 and the Swag hydro kit. Dirtman has a M32 as well. Be prepared to drop coin on the dies. If you watch Pirate you can find some used ones.

Yeah, if I need to bend anything important like tubing for a cage I'll just take the drive to Austin's house and use his neighbor's machine. It's just over an hour drive and I've got no time lol.

Maertz 07-24-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ringer (Post 3955391)
The key with any bender is the cost and availability of the dies. I ended up with a JD2 model 32 and the Swag hydro kit. Dirtman has a M32 as well. Be prepared to drop coin on the dies. If you watch Pirate you can find some used ones.

Yeah he only has a 1.75 die and it sucks, but o well ive just been using all 1.75 instead of mixing it up on the little cage work ive done so far. They are very pricy. That bend-tech software he has is also pricey...

Ringer 07-24-2014 06:39 AM

Agreed, I think I've got close to $1500 in dies alone!

TheDirtman 07-24-2014 06:40 AM

i have a 1/8" aluminum floor/cover that goes from the tailgate to behind the seat. I have not got all the pretty things done to it since our move to Reno and building a house got in the way. My coil holes are still open.

AaronJK 07-24-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3955402)
i have a 1/8" aluminum floor/cover that goes from the tailgate to behind the seat. I have not got all the pretty things done to it since our move to Reno and building a house got in the way. My coil holes are still open.

Ha! That's what I was planning on. Right now the aluminum is a makeshift table laid out over two saw horses.

Maertz 07-24-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 3955402)

lol i need to do the "pretty" things eventually aswell, but I have tons of other stuff to do also. The next 2 nights and the hole weekend i plan to knock alot out.. I hear you on the moving, within the last year and a half ive lived in 3 different places...

ABENDX 07-24-2014 08:21 AM

Yep... the dies are expensive. Hell, the bender can be as well. I've got a JD 52 and can't say enough good things about it. Also have their Beast notcher, which also earns high praise from my experience with it. I've bent tube with my expensive bender and bent tube with el cheapo models... most will get the job done just fine, it's more an issue of time, ease, and repeatability.

And Ringer has a good point... the hydro is what you want to shoot for if you can budget it. I have an electric setup and it wasn't able to bend my thicker pieces, luckily I have a buddy that has the hydro setup for his and I was able to borrow it to complete the job.

JKG33K 07-24-2014 08:30 AM

This build looks bad A$$! Nice work!

Maertz 07-24-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ABENDX (Post 3955476)
Yep... the dies are expensive. Hell, the bender can be as well. I've got a JD 52 and can't say enough good things about it. Also have their Beast notcher, which also earns high praise from my experience with it. I've bent tube with my expensive bender and bent tube with el cheapo models... most will get the job done just fine, it's more an issue of time, ease, and repeatability.

And Ringer has a good point... the hydro is what you want to shoot for if you can budget it. I have an electric setup and it wasn't able to bend my thicker pieces, luckily I have a buddy that has the hydro setup for his and I was able to borrow it to complete the job.

Ha true, i used the harbor freight one to do some on my first little setup and it did ok but was a pain in the ass... After using this one i was amazed how quick and how little work it was. Especially with the bend tech software telling me where to mark and how/wich way to insert the pipe and such.

I need a notcher, using a flap disc is getting very old...My neighbor also has a basic hole saw notcher that works ok, but im sure that beast notcher is 10x better.