Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Maertz's Half Ass Build Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Man you just get all the goodies. ...lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum

Yeah i luck out, its pretty offroad heavy out here and LOTS of people here race, and alot that dont probably could... We all help each other out a ton tool wise and i hook them all up with the supplies they need for them. Down the road I would love to slowly start getting all of these tools for myself, but i just don't have room here and need to sell my old house back home before I can go to crazy..
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringer
The key with any bender is the cost and availability of the dies. I ended up with a JD2 model 32 and the Swag hydro kit. Dirtman has a M32 as well. Be prepared to drop coin on the dies. If you watch Pirate you can find some used ones.
Yeah, if I need to bend anything important like tubing for a cage I'll just take the drive to Austin's house and use his neighbor's machine. It's just over an hour drive and I've got no time lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Ringer
The key with any bender is the cost and availability of the dies. I ended up with a JD2 model 32 and the Swag hydro kit. Dirtman has a M32 as well. Be prepared to drop coin on the dies. If you watch Pirate you can find some used ones.
Yeah he only has a 1.75 die and it sucks, but o well ive just been using all 1.75 instead of mixing it up on the little cage work ive done so far. They are very pricy. That bend-tech software he has is also pricey...
Old 07-24-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed, I think I've got close to $1500 in dies alone!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

i have a 1/8" aluminum floor/cover that goes from the tailgate to behind the seat. I have not got all the pretty things done to it since our move to Reno and building a house got in the way. My coil holes are still open.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
i have a 1/8" aluminum floor/cover that goes from the tailgate to behind the seat. I have not got all the pretty things done to it since our move to Reno and building a house got in the way. My coil holes are still open.
Ha! That's what I was planning on. Right now the aluminum is a makeshift table laid out over two saw horses.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
lol i need to do the "pretty" things eventually aswell, but I have tons of other stuff to do also. The next 2 nights and the hole weekend i plan to knock alot out.. I hear you on the moving, within the last year and a half ive lived in 3 different places...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Yep... the dies are expensive. Hell, the bender can be as well. I've got a JD 52 and can't say enough good things about it. Also have their Beast notcher, which also earns high praise from my experience with it. I've bent tube with my expensive bender and bent tube with el cheapo models... most will get the job done just fine, it's more an issue of time, ease, and repeatability.

And Ringer has a good point... the hydro is what you want to shoot for if you can budget it. I have an electric setup and it wasn't able to bend my thicker pieces, luckily I have a buddy that has the hydro setup for his and I was able to borrow it to complete the job.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

This build looks bad A$$! Nice work!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Yep... the dies are expensive. Hell, the bender can be as well. I've got a JD 52 and can't say enough good things about it. Also have their Beast notcher, which also earns high praise from my experience with it. I've bent tube with my expensive bender and bent tube with el cheapo models... most will get the job done just fine, it's more an issue of time, ease, and repeatability.

And Ringer has a good point... the hydro is what you want to shoot for if you can budget it. I have an electric setup and it wasn't able to bend my thicker pieces, luckily I have a buddy that has the hydro setup for his and I was able to borrow it to complete the job.
Ha true, i used the harbor freight one to do some on my first little setup and it did ok but was a pain in the ass... After using this one i was amazed how quick and how little work it was. Especially with the bend tech software telling me where to mark and how/wich way to insert the pipe and such.

I need a notcher, using a flap disc is getting very old...My neighbor also has a basic hole saw notcher that works ok, but im sure that beast notcher is 10x better.