Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Marker Light mod

Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marker Light mod

So I did a fender chop and trying to come up with ideas to replace my marker light. After searching through Napa I came across some lights I thought would work, but it's a little bigger than I hoped. Here's a pic of the light just sitting on the fender.

The reasons I'm hesitant is simply I think it's vulnerable although cheap to replace. But it's highly visible and I will turn it into a blinker.

Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-550501679.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	115618   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2884293210.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	115619  

Last edited by redjkofdeath; 01-06-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alien10
Not really feeling the look of that marker light. Try looking into a set of marker lights designed for a sportbike. They will be easier on the eyes, shaped better and most of them are LED's. Your fenders sure look good though.
Looked into that. I think that'll be a better option. Hope I cam find the receipt for the other light :-p Already cut up the wires on this one to see how bright it was. Was concerned it would cause glare in that location.

I also considered a round light to go on the back of the fender, but I'm thinking lights under the fender will be best, just not the most visible.

Seriously constrict an LED strip for a cycle and run it along the edge of the fender. If anything, I won't be cutting into the fender so if it falls off, I'm only out $20 and the experience.

Thanks for the input guys, was really hesitant on this and needed some reassurance that although I legally need them, that it wasn't looking quite right.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

i used 2 small rectangular led lights from a local auto store. they're fully sealed and have lasted well through heavy rain/snow/salt since i put them on about 2 1/2 months ago. when i cut my flares they wound up being just a tad wider than the plastic subframe. i mounted mine to the edge of the subframe which leaves the lights sticking out about 1/8" or so from the outer edge of the flare itself. they light up the entire wheel well as well as a small patch on the road on either side of the jeep. the only problem i found was that the led's won't work 100% with the blinker mod. they way mine is set up now, the markers are off when the headlights are off. they also don't function as a blinker when the headlights are off. when the headlights are on, the markers are on solid until you hit the turn signal where they blink alternately with the corresponding front blinker. if you want yours to act as a blinker when the headlights are off, you'll have to stick with a standard incandescent light.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
i used 2 small rectangular led lights from a local auto store. they're fully sealed and have lasted well through heavy rain/snow/salt since i put them on about 2 1/2 months ago. when i cut my flares they wound up being just a tad wider than the plastic subframe. i mounted mine to the edge of the subframe which leaves the lights sticking out about 1/8" or so from the outer edge of the flare itself. they light up the entire wheel well as well as a small patch on the road on either side of the jeep. the only problem i found was that the led's won't work 100% with the blinker mod. they way mine is set up now, the markers are off when the headlights are off. they also don't function as a blinker when the headlights are off. when the headlights are on, the markers are on solid until you hit the turn signal where they blink alternately with the corresponding front blinker. if you want yours to act as a blinker when the headlights are off, you'll have to stick with a standard incandescent light.
Yeah, I gave up on making them blinkers for now. Spent way more than I ever originally planned to spend chopping my fenders.

Had to buy new fasteners, door trim, ended up painting them because they were badly faded and then had to add lights ... Lol

Ended up going with some led strips that faced sideways. Attached them to the underside just before the honeycomb and wired them up and they appear to be working great as a marker, just no way as a blinker.

Now that that's all finished, installing teraflex kit on Tuesday and then onto bigger tires! Woo!

Name:	image-3566663851.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	115786   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1800537480.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	115787   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3942297824.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	115788   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2824577387.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	115789   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-215996879.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	115790  

Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was gonna say to mount it on the underside of the fender, but the led strips are better. Looks good
Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, Will they hold up to the beating they may get under there?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mbfrosch
Looks good, Will they hold up to the beating they may get under there?
Having the same doubts myself, but super glue is pretty super :-p But I honestly don't know how well. These lights are normally mounted on the exterior of motorcycles so I'm hoping they can take a beating.

I would be more worried about the other lights than these, although these were a little more at $25 they had shorter ones for $14, but I liked the length for visibility at night (have 2 kids). I'm hoping once I get my KM2's in and my lift on, I can take it off road a bit and see how well it holds up.

But hey, as a hold over until I have the cash to spare on a set of $500+ fenders I think this'll do.

Last edited by redjkofdeath; 01-07-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sclan
I was gonna say to mount it on the underside of the fender, but the led strips are better. Looks good
I had considered that, and even toyed with the idea by hooking up one light and placing it under the fender, but it wasn't as visible and looked prone to damage when in full compression after my new tires come in.

I'm happier with this solution by far, though peeved at myself for not thinking of it sooner. Glad I came on here first or else I really have regretted it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can barely tell with the lights off.

Name:	image-47238221.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	115791  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Totally dig that

I am totally digging that look. If I ever do the fender chop that is exactly what I am gonna do other then I plan to leave a bit more fender and a little less chop. Great idea redjkofdeath.

Quick Reply: Marker Light mod