Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Mr. T's boring but functional build

Old 12-07-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ade
Nice looking 2 door sir. I am running the same OME shocks at the moment and was looking to change them in the new year. Will take your findings into consideration when researching my replacements.
Thanks -- A tough decision for me too, especially when there might have been no improvement (or worse).

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loving the detail, will really help the not so previously informed some day.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default Rear XHD bumper mod...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_20150502_152659s.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	609529
The change is tough to visualize because of the compound angles, but it's essentially two saw cuts on each side -- Shown in red if you expand the pic above. A bit more clearance, a bit less weight, and it looks OK.

A note on cutting the bumper with minimal damage to the original powder coating: I used duct tape on the cut-line to protect the bumper from the guide-pad on the saw. Mostly just touch-up on the edges with a Rustoleum bed-liner paint for pick-up trucks.

Last edited by Mr.T; 05-05-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
Nice job with this!

I went with an AEV 2" spacer lift and kept the Rubi shocks. I then went with 255/80/17 (33") BFG KM2's on the stock wheels. Overall, the ride improved slightly, while clearance off road was significantly improved, especially the break-over angle.

My goal wasn't a Moab rock monster, but to retain road manners while improving trail performance. I also did not want to increase wear and tear on suspension components by adding a bunch of weight. With that in mind, I went stuck with the stock bumpers and added a winch plate and winch with synthetic rope, again for light weight. I want this Jeep to go 300k miles without major issues.

I added an oil pan skid plate and evap canister skid. I may yet add the Mopar diff covers, at some point.

Off-road, I've had the axles crossed to the max at full turn, sway bar disconnected, and the only issue was an annoying slight rub on the plastic air dam, which could be fixed with a little trimming. The suspension performed as it should, with no weird noises or anything. I'm not sure what is thought of spacer lifts, but the AEV does just fine, as AEV told me it would over the phone when I called them and asked about it.

For me, moderation is the philosophy of life, whether with Jeeps, alcohol, or whatever.

Nice write up and awesome Jeep!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6792
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	609600   Click image for larger version

Views:	6798
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	609601   Click image for larger version

Views:	6876
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	609602  
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I attached pics my write up disappeared. What Was supposed to be there was:

Nice Jeeps. I love this thread - it's right up my alley. I enjoy looking at the extreme builds with 35" + tires and huge lifts but at the end of the day I built my Jeep to be a dependable daily driver and just wanted to add a little extra trail performance and rugged look to my Jeep. Here's my mild "boring" build:

-2015 JK Rubicon 2 door
-AEV 2" spacer lift w/stock shocks
-285/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs on stock rims
-K&N Air Filter
-Engine mounted Viair Compressor
-Rockhard Winch Plate
-Superwinch 9000 lb winch w/synthetic line
-Mopar Sill Protectors
-Bestop Supertop NX Soft top
-Bestop 2 piece soft doors
-Tuffy Glove Box
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Jeep801
When I attached pics my write up disappeared. What Was supposed to be there was:

Nice Jeeps. I love this thread - it's right up my alley. I enjoy looking at the extreme builds with 35" + tires and huge lifts but at the end of the day I built my Jeep to be a dependable daily driver and just wanted to add a little extra trail performance and rugged look to my Jeep. Here's my mild "boring" build:

-2015 JK Rubicon 2 door
-AEV 2" spacer lift w/stock shocks
-285/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs on stock rims
-K&N Air Filter
-Engine mounted Viair Compressor
-Rockhard Winch Plate
-Superwinch 9000 lb winch w/synthetic line
-Mopar Sill Protectors
-Bestop Supertop NX Soft top
-Bestop 2 piece soft doors
-Tuffy Glove Box
Nice Jeep, always liked black. A while back I added this line to the beginning of the first post that I think sums up the Jeep thing, from completely stock to extreme: "Everyone's Jeep is a personal compromise between many competing choices and a budget..."

Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for this

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Nice Jeep, always liked black. A while back I added this line to the beginning of the first post that I think sums up the Jeep thing, from completely stock to extreme: "Everyone's Jeep is a personal compromise between many competing choices and a budget..."

Super happy I found this thread. I have just started my "boring" build and I'm totally digging the philosophy here. So far I have installed 1.5" Spidertrax wheel adapters and have a TF 1.5" leveling kit on order. I appreciate it guys!

Cheers!
DJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3515918080.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	750.2 KB
ID:	631409  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by daj1975
Super happy I found this thread. I have just started my "boring" build and I'm totally digging the philosophy here. So far I have installed 1.5" Spidertrax wheel adapters and have a TF 1.5" leveling kit on order. I appreciate it guys!

Cheers!
DJ
Thanks for the kind words. Build threads are my favorites too. Years later it's nice to go back for reference, kind of an open logbook. BTW, that's a sharp looking jeep
Old 05-12-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default Replaced Skids and Trackbar

Because of rubbing during bump stop compression, I replaced the Pure Jeep engine and transfer case skid with a Rancho oil pan skid and a Rubicon Express T-case skid, and also replaced the JKS front track bar with a Teraflex forged bar.

The first few pages of this thread are the current build, so details and more pics are in post #4 and post #1

On a side note, it was handy to add temporary bump stops by lowering the suspension fully while on jack stands, inserting bump stops (for example, hockey pucks) through the front coils, then using silicone adhesive/sealant to hold them on.

Name:	Tcase Skid Front.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	646871
The Rubicon Express T-case skid extends forward of the cross member a few inches for some additional protection. The old engine/transmission skid covered that area, and had some rock-rash, but the exhaust and cross member have stayed in perfect shape.

Name:	Trackbar Diff clearance.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	646872
The Teraflex adjustable trackbar has the same clearance for suspension up-travel as stock, but it's much stiffer.

Name:	Trackbar Clamp + Spacer.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	646873
The angle metal (right side in pic) is a modification I made to the Teraflex track bar clamps. When put inside the clamp against the bolt, it provides a firm stop. It keeps the clamp from deforming if the bolt gets some extra torque, and keeps the faces against the bolt/nut parallel. The length was about 9/16".

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-31-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling and formating
Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Default Welding LCA Skids...

I welded on a pair of Synergy LCA (lower control arm) skids just in time to leave on a trip in a couple days.

Name:	LCA Skid Welding.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	657614

Decided to remove each LCA, make a spacer out of 1/2" pipe the same thickness as the steel sleeve in the Clevite bushing, then tightened the bolt before welding to mitigate any weld distortion (and also prevent possible overheating of the Clevite bushing).

Name:	LCA Skid Weld Spacer.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	657615

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-27-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Mr. T's boring but functional build