JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   Muffler and Rear Axle painting (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/muffler-rear-axle-painting-180817/)

MarbleheadGuy 06-03-2011 05:50 PM

Muffler and Rear Axle painting

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I know I've promised to share these for a while, so here you go. Used Rustoleum medium black on the rear axle and muffler and I think it looks great. I applied it about 2 months ago and still going strong. Just tape off what you don't want to spray and go for it. I applied 3 coats total, each after the last fully dried. A really easy mod that greatly improves the under carriage of a JK, especially if your muffler and axle are starting to or are rusted.

Attachment 167609Attachment 167611Attachment 167610

MarbleheadGuy 06-03-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by jeepmojo (Post 2328985)
i like it ,i hope mine gets there some day ! mines a 2 door sport , some day after a lift and gears ill toss the 35s on there but not untill im sure its worty of investing money into it , these things seem to be problematic from what i read on this forum
bad motors , bad clutches, bad transmissions , we shall see if im happy next year after some more miles on it ill do it ,( till then its staying stock ! 2011) just incase warrenty work is needed!

Eh you can run 35s just fine on 3.73s, unless you do lots of highway driving or you wheel pretty hard. Mine's my DD and sees little highway and only light to moderate off roading (wish I had time for more) and mine's running fine with the supremely heavy Toyo 35s. Don't get too concerned about all the problems you hear - there aren't many compared to the installed base each year. Don't forget, you're on a forum specifically for the JK so you're going to have all the obsessed people (like me :yup:) on here, ie you will get the perception that JKs are problem ridden, when in fact, they are fairly reliable with normal wear and tear and proper maintenance.

LeftyStrat 06-03-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy (Post 2328997)
Eh you can run 35s just fine on 3.73s, unless you do lots of highway driving or you wheel pretty hard. Mine's my DD and sees little highway and only light to moderate off roading (wish I had time for more) and mine's running fine with the supremely heavy Toyo 35s. Don't get too concerned about all the problems you hear - there aren't many compared to the installed base each year. Don't forget, you're on a forum specifically for the JK so you're going to have all the obsessed people (like me :yup:) on here, ie you will get the perception that JKs are problem ridden, when in fact, they are fairly reliable with normal wear and tear and proper maintenance.

:thumbsup:

Koko 06-03-2011 06:28 PM

Looks realy good. I'm planning to do this to mine. I'm also going to metal brush the rust areas and rust bullet them. Then clean the chassis/axles and spray away.

MarbleheadGuy 06-03-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Koko (Post 2329012)
Looks realy good. I'm planning to do this to mine. I'm also going to metal brush the rust areas and rust bullet them. Then clean the chassis/axles and spray away.

Good point. Should have mentioned that I metal brushed both before spraying...

TxCop07 06-03-2011 07:23 PM

Looks really good. I have to do this. Did you do the front?

MarbleheadGuy 06-03-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TxCop07 (Post 2329114)
Looks really good. I have to do this. Did you do the front?

Didn't do the front yet. Still have my trimmed air dam on, but I will when I take it off/gets ripped off.

TxCop07 06-03-2011 07:31 PM

Well the rear looks good anyway. Should have come from the factory like that.

JKUJeeper 06-04-2011 08:17 AM

Dam that looks good...your right I think 35's are the way to go! It just looks so much better than 33's. I mean 35's are $30 more a tire than 33's. God I hate jeeps, I said after my last one I would not build up another one...oh well :wink:

ricksjeep10 06-04-2011 08:24 AM

Good job on cleaning/painting. Looks good and seems like a pretty simple fix.:thumbsup: