Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My JK Bumper Build

Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if you decide to do another. I have a CNC plasma bed and can use that cad file with all the pieces blown apart to cut a "kit" for you. Would take about 20 minutes to cut out all those parts from 1/4" cold steel.

Another option is a place online called Big Blue Saw. You can upload your cad file at their website and they will water jet cut it for you then send you the part.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep JJ
What CAD program do you use? I have been looking for a program for my Mac and can't seem to find a decent one. Any suggestions?? Thanks!! Awesome build!!
Look into the TurboCAD. It's one of the better ones I have used on the mac. The top version does 3d modeling and all that. I just have the 2d version as I don't have nearly as much need for 3d.

AutoCAD is available for macs now but that will set you back 5k.

Bryan
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the cad data I can laser cut the details and press break most of the seamed sections to reduce the welding needed.

this would save alot of weld and grinding time and also be a more finished product.

if interested send me a pm
Old 01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
Look into the TurboCAD. It's one of the better ones I have used on the mac. The top version does 3d modeling and all that. I just have the 2d version as I don't have nearly as much need for 3d.

AutoCAD is available for macs now but that will set you back 5k.

Bryan
Unless your a college student (or know one who will let you use their email address). I am a student and got a 3 year license for free. The only caveat is printed drawings will say "Created by an Autocad Educational Product"
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NTX JK
I looked through a ton of bumpers, but nothing really caught my eye. I liked a few of them, and would of bought them, but I am just . So, I did the next best thing, I made my own. Since my dad has all of the tools, I didn't have to buy anything except for some cut off wheels, flap disc's, and some bolts. I am a draftsman with not a lot of work to do at work, so I had plenty of time to draw my own. I started by measuring the front of the jeep, and the frame, then started to design my bumper. I took some inspiration from a few bumpers, but I ended up making it my own. I started with a AutoCAD drawing:

Then I blew it all up and printed out all of the pieces I needed to cut:

After that I cut all of those out on some cardboard, and made me a template that I could stick on the the jeep to see if it would all fit:

It was a little wider then I wanted, so I took 2" out of the center part on each side of where the fairlead mounts to (so 4" total). After that looked good, I started tracing and cutting. Since the metal was used, there was paint on it so I had to scrap all of that off (and I swear I am never doing that again, it took at least 6 hours to grind all of the paint off, and my thumb still hurts a week later). Much thanks goes to Brian (CJ's automotive) and Mike (ClassicRocks) for letting me use their special tools (I will keep it a secret so everyone doesn't come bugging you to let them use it). Then I started welding once everything was cut and all of the paint was gone:

Then I installed the hoop, d-ring mounts (made from 4 pieces of 1/4" steel welded together), and finished all of the welds. I painted it with the spray on bed liner, which I kind of ended up being disappointed. I had to use an inner-shielded wire since I couldn't find the gas tank for the mig, so there were a lot of gaps in the weld once grounded down, and I was hoping for the bed liner to cover it all, but oh well. Also my pipe bender dented the tubing where the rollers where at, but I did the best I could with the tools I had. All in all, I am happy with it. Here are the finished pictures:

look great nice job
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very cool! I like it
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

very clean work my friend !!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

What was your material cost for all the steel?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

That is wicked dude

Quick Reply: My JK Bumper Build