Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My Rear Bumper Design

Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Rear Bumper Design

the brackets/mounts well be steel . still playing around with thickness. at a minimum 1/2'', but i'll probably go with 3/4". it really depends on whats avialable at the scrap yard or i'll just go the local metal yard and check there spare cuts section. i really want them to be as beefy as possible since its the tie in point for every thing. the reasoning for one piece of steel is so i dont have to worry about welds failing or anything like that. i have two options for bumper shell material . since i dont want it to weigh a lot. i'm thinking of using 1/8" steel or 3/16 alum and rib the inside to make it more ridged. i'm really liking the aluminum approch but i dont have the means to weld that kind of material. so most likely i'll end up using steel. the plan is to bolt the shell on to the 3/4" brackets using tabs welded to the bracket. as for a tire carrier i really dont know what style to go with. i can do the traditional swing out carrier or maybe do a rear stinger type.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	120484   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	120485   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	120486   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	120487  

Last edited by CMEFLX; 01-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to use aluminum, then double the thickness you would use for steel. You should decide how tough you want it and select the material and thickness based on that.

Not too sure I'd want the mounts being aluminum though, short of them being 1.5" thick or more. If you use steel there, then you'd need bolts to connect the rest of the bumper (assuming aluminum) to the mounts. Might be easier to do all steel.

Design wise it looks good. Did you plan on making a tire carrier for it?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default more pix

notice the first set of pix were not the best. here are some that are a little more clearer. even have one of the inside that shows the ribs i plan one welding in to make the 1/8" shell more ridged.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	121063   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	121064   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild5.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	121065   Click image for larger version

Name:	thebumperbuild3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	121066  
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about doing something with the bottom edge? Maybe a small bed at the end to increase the strength and provide less of a catch point? Could integrate with the ribs, would be nice and solid.

Quick Reply: My Rear Bumper Design