Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Home made half doors

Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home made half doors

Looking to make some homemade half doors. I want to be able to use factory (soft) uppers. My thought being if factory uppers will fit then so will after market. That being said it doesn’t seem that bestop makes aftermarket replacements. soooo two questions:

1- anyone have any photos/measurements/plans of factory half door so I can get a good look at what the top (where you would rest your arm) of the door needs to look like. as far as where the mounting holes need to be in relation to the A post and B post. and how wide it needs to be to properly attach

2- anyone know if bestop or any other company makes an aftermarket upper half?

I could buy factory uppers anticipating an after market set coming in the future but knowing mopar I would need to give them $4000, a kidney, and 6 pints of blood in order to purchase them

thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw that someone is making aftermarket uppers for the JK. I think it was in the most recent edition of the 4wd.com catalog, so check their website. If it wasn't them it was quadratec. I did see them however. The price wasn't too bad for a st of four.

I'm not sure how you can home make a set of doors for less than modifying one of on line sets? Good luck!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im curious too. I want to just make some tube doors and add a piece of sheetmetal. Throw some paddle door handles and call it a day. Ill be watching this thread for updates.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

well hopefully it works. it is actually my brother that will be making them, but i gotta hand him some ideas. i was looking at a friends TJ and all it is is a couple of holes for he windows pins to slide into. now i just need to find one to look at. if and when I get them done I will re post. of anyone has the info i need (especially with pictures) it would help
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fyrguy
Looking to make some homemade half doors. I want to be able to use factory (soft) uppers. My thought being if factory uppers will fit then so will after market. That being said it doesn’t seem that bestop makes aftermarket replacements. soooo two questions:

1- anyone have any photos/measurements/plans of factory half door so I can get a good look at what the top (where you would rest your arm) of the door needs to look like. as far as where the mounting holes need to be in relation to the A post and B post. and how wide it needs to be to properly attach

I could buy factory uppers anticipating an after market set coming in the future but knowing mopar I would need to give them $4000, a kidney, and 6 pints of blood in order to purchase them

thanks
do some search(pain in ....),one of them - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...lf-doors/page5
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fyrguy

thanks
I made these (build thread here)

They are made to take the bestop uppers although I do not have them yet. When I get the front doors done I am going to paint them again. The Krylon seemed like a good temporary solution

Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like a lot of effort to me... just sayin'
Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ahendrickson
Seems like a lot of effort to me... just sayin'
I only have about 10 hours in them. With a factory set at over $2000 thats $200 an hour for my time

Beside the fact that there is no way in hell I could pay $2000 for doors, so it was make my own or do without

Quick Reply: Home made half doors