Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Showing off my Superwinch EXP Lemon

Old 01-28-2019, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showing off my Superwinch EXP Lemon

Excited to get my EXP 10,000 Synthetic a few months ago. Mounted it (took forever....several bolts included were trash so local shop had to make some others) and it looked freakin great. Function checked it on Thursday for an Offroad trip Sunday. Made a horrible clutch/gear noise at end of powering out. Also leaked some type of oil from beneath the cover under the clutch handle. I took a video and pic and emailed the customer service email on their website that night. Haven’t heard back from them Yet (Monday now). On Saturday, the unit wouldn’t even turn on. No power at all. Checked all connections with meter. All is well. No power. Sunday, powers and lights up again. Smh. I certainly wasn’t going to depend on it though.

Fast forward to today. First thing this morning the local shop that ordered it for me called Superwinch. Spoke with Jason. Jason said to call him and send him emails with video/pics. I did. He didn’t even say “sorry” or “hate this is happening”. Just said they’d have to review it. Told him it had obvious issues and just wanted to return for refund. He basically said that wouldn’t be happening. And that I’d have to send it in, etc. He sounded annoyed by the whole thing. I tried calling him back that afternoon for an update after he had time to watch videos, and left a message with a lady that said he was busy, but never heard back from him via email or phone.

So, proceed with caution if you buy Superwinch.

Ill keep this thread updated with how they handle the situation.

Last edited by memcdowe; 01-29-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

well most winches that I know of don't have oil they have a heavy grease so that is probably just some residue. sounds like your clutch was not fully engaged.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
well most winches that I know of don't have oil they have a heavy grease so that is probably just some residue. sounds like your clutch was not fully engaged.
the clutch handle was definitely fully engaged but I agree that it was not fully engaging internally.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Spoke with a different rep today. My only recourse is to remove it, package it up, and ship back to them at my own expense.

Thats bad Customer Service no matter how you spin it. This is a new item. Obviously defective from the start.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 201 Likes on 183 Posts

Safety note on the video above: Don't put your hand/fingers that close to the fairlead on the rope.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Safety note on the video above: Don't put your hand/fingers that close to the fairlead on the rope.
A valid concern. We were spooling in slowly with no resistance after discovering it was damaged. Friend was keeping lines from looping under each other. Hard to tell from video how careful we were being. Agree it looks careless in video.

Last edited by memcdowe; 01-29-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

This is indeed poor customer service. It sounds to me like you need to escalate this higher up the chain of command. I really hate doing things like this cuz it's time consuming, but in egregious circumstances such as this, I find going directly to the top often leads to swift resolutions. It becomes a matter of principle. If it were me, and if I were pissed enough, I'd be composing some correspondence to Mr. Pat Gerard who is President & CEO of Kinderhook Industrie, the private equity firm that owns Superwinch. This is NOT the kind of publicity that companies desire.

https://superwinch.com/pages/superwi...orate-overview
Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man that is a shame and very concerning. I have a Superwinch EPi 9.0
I bought new in 2011 and it's a beast....never failed, never had to do anything
to it. I've used it around the farm and on trails from Moab and Colorado to
Kentucky. Not like it's a small thing you can just pick up and return very easy.
I'm watching this very close to see if the company makes it right!
Old 01-31-2019, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you purchased it from a shop and had it installed, the shop should be dealing with Superwinch and handling the warranty. Superwinch wanting the unit back to verify and the either fix or replace is kinda what companies do for warranty. Read through the warranty statement that came with the winch. I"m not seeing anything that is even close to horrible service that you have now mentioned on several forums.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ghost JK
If you purchased it from a shop and had it installed, the shop should be dealing with Superwinch and handling the warranty. Superwinch wanting the unit back to verify and the either fix or replace is kinda what companies do for warranty. Read through the warranty statement that came with the winch. I"m not seeing anything that is even close to horrible service that you have now mentioned on several forums.
You don’t think they should be offering to pay the return shipping on an item defective right out of the box?

You dont think an apology of some sort should have been issued by their customer service?

You have awfully low expectations of what to expect if that’s the case.

Quick Reply: Showing off my Superwinch EXP Lemon