Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Soft-Top Window Storage with Towels and a Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack

Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft-Top Window Storage with Towels and a Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack

My current storage method uses
  • Sleeping bag stuff sack by "Outdoor Products- Stuff Bag". 13in Dia X 30in L. $10
  • 2 beach towels larger than back window
  • 3 bath towels about 5 foot long - 1 is for wrapping the opposite direction on the outside.
  • Sleeping bag straps $2 (or 30" velcro straps)

Here is how I roll it on the hood. I hook the sacks string on front bumper recovery hook so it won't fly away. I've also used the antenna. I start with the rear window sandwiched in the 2 beach towels.

I then add the side windows with a towel between them. I roll it with all the hard bottom parts on top of each other. It makes it easier to roll that way.

I roll it all up going one way. Then I use a small towel and roll that towel around the roll the other way. It a bit of over kill but it keeps everything wrapped up nice and stops it from unraveling better. Plus it's nice to have an extra towel if I need it. Then I put on the sleeping bag straps. No need to over do it just get them snug enough for the towels to stay in place. If you just loosen the straps when your putting the windows back in you don't have to re-thread them each time, and can hold them on the front recovery hooks (antenna, neck) too.

I used bungee's before the sleeping bag straps. They worked but seemed to put more stress on the windows. They would look sort of bent up that way until they warmed up.

30" is the perfect length for the sack. There is plenty of extra width room in the sack when it's all done. It makes it really easy to put the roll in without much stuffing.

This is how it fits in the back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK towel window storage.jpg
Views:	9328
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	339846   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK towel window storage (1).jpg
Views:	13602
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	339847   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK towel window storage (2).jpg
Views:	11516
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	339848   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK towel window storage (4).jpg
Views:	8845
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	339849  

Last edited by Rooster76; 08-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Great idea.
I spent several hours recently making one from raw material. Your idea is MUCH easier.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 30" Velcro Straps is another good option to tie up the window roll

I was going through threads and someone mentioned using Velcro straps to hold there window rolls together. I'm not changing mine. I still like the sleeping bag straps, but for anyone looking for other options (besides sleeping bag straps) I did some measurements for what you need.

27" Circumference 8.6" Diameter
I measured the circumference of the roll and it was 2 feet and 3 inches. That's with me rolling it modestly tight and all the towels.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to have to try this again. In the past it always seemed like the windows had a hard(ish) strip on two sides, the bottom and the door frame. So I couldn't figure out how to roll it without bending the snot out of one of the strips. Looking at your method it appears that the door side strip is much more flexible than I thought. I take it that you have not had any issues with it getting all kinked up.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you for this man! it's wonderful. I'm tired of scuffing up my windows!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs
I'm going to have to try this again. In the past it always seemed like the windows had a hard(ish) strip on two sides, the bottom and the door frame. So I couldn't figure out how to roll it without bending the snot out of one of the strips. Looking at your method it appears that the door side strip is much more flexible than I thought. I take it that you have not had any issues with it getting all kinked up.
It takes a bit of a leap of faith the first time, but I assure you they will pop back and work. With the drought that Indy has been having I have had them rolled up for over a month and they go right back into shape. Over winter though, I'm planning on leaving the windows stored flat.

I have heard that you don't want to roll the part that attached to the door side because it doesn't pop back to shape right. It's not an issue with the way I do it, but if you where to roll it longways it would be an issue. The "cloverpatch" aftermarket roll does it longways, but rotates the side windows. So it would look like a "T" before rolling.

Last edited by Rooster76; 07-28-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

any ideas for the tailgate?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default ??? Trying to replicate the clover patch ???

Originally Posted by tlminh
any ideas for the tailgate?
Click image for larger version

Name:	400pancake_bunny.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	347972

I'm going to take a stab at this, but I'm not totally sure what your asking . I'm guessing that your trying to attach the windows like the clover patch on you can buy at Quadratec LINK->Clover Patch 10-ST-9702 - Clover Patch Window Roll™ for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec. Here is an image of that one below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	77995-md.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	347973

I'm not sure how it will work, but here's how I would approach it.

You might be able to find a folding chair bag that will work for fabricating something like that. I have seen the chairs (with the bag) in hardware stores and grocery stores for about $8. I think that they would be about the right size. I would take the side windows and rotate them 90 degrees to my system. Put them side by side with the hard bottom rails in the center. Then you could roll it long ways opposite of how I do it. That should make the roll smaller and more likely to fit in the bag. Your most likely going to need to ditch the towels for felt or bed sheets. You don't want the windows to touch/rub or the dirt on them will scratch each other.

I like my system because it is rather simple and I can do it all on my hood. My hood almost always is going to be cleaner and less annoying to work on then the ground. I'm also not big on fiddling with pockets.

EDIT: This question lingers in my mind from time to time. I think now your either wondering if you can store the back window, so I made that more clear in the write-up. More likely your asking what to do with the bar that holds the window next to the tailgate. I just leave that clipped in there and ready to go.

Last edited by Rooster76; 08-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like this idea. I had the Bestop Duffel but it didn't fit my 2012 rear window. Thx for sharing.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Great Idea

Great Idea - this looks like it will work great. I am going to do this for my softop storage.

Quick Reply: Soft-Top Window Storage with Towels and a Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack