Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Texas road trip

Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Texas road trip

My wife and I (and our 4 month old son) just vacationed to Texas in my JKU. First to just outside of Fort Worth to see an old friend, then to Galveston. We put just shy of 3000 miles on the jeep and I just calculated up my MPGs and was amazed, so I thought I'd share. The jeep is basically a stock sport with a 6 speed and 3.21 gears. I have added rock rails and 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs. On the highways We set cruise between 75-85, and my wife kept forgetting about 6th and almost never used it and we still averaged 21.5 MPG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo365.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	674016   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo57.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	953.9 KB
ID:	674017  
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad that you're enjoying that rig!

Have you corrected for your increased tire size?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Have you corrected for your increased tire size?
^^+1?? If you haven't adjusted for tire size, both mileage and fuel economy will be mistated. That said, with 3.21 gears and larger tires, I'd have to think you're running pretty low RPMs at interstate speeds, at which point it's not too surprising you'd see some nice fuel economy.

Where all did you guys travel in Texas and what did you see besides Galveston. We have a great state with a lot to see and do here. I wouldn't say Galveston is the most scenic spot we have, but it's not the worst either.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did adjust for the larger tires.

We stopped at the Fort Worth stockyards and saw the " cattle drive". My wife and I are both from farms and it was not what we expected, but still neat nonetheless.

Then we stayed at a friends in Glen Rose, the highlight of that town was dinosaur valley.

I thought Galveston was pretty cool! Couple of places to drive right on the beach which was convenient with an infant and all the gear need for him, and few dunes to play around on at the southern end of the island.

Last edited by Wuebben.2; 08-10-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Y, the stock yards are a bit touristy.....you know...intended for folks that haven't seen a cow and all....LOL. Dinosaur Valley is a nice park....you have to get on some of the back trails to really appreciate it. We love camping there. Last time out the tracks had filled in a good bit with sediment. They seem to clean those out every few years or so. The hill country just south of Glen Rose down by Austin is really a pretty area and filled with great state parks. East Texas is totally different with a lot of piney woods, and if you ever have the opportunity to get down to Big Bend, don't pass it up!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you visited Texas. A great state for Jeeps. If I'd known you were coming we would have put out the red carpet.

Quick Reply: Texas road trip