Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Trail damage

Old 06-29-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the repair. And the new panel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3933076066.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	616409  
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matth
Oh man. Been there done that. The body shop pulled it out. But I didn't like it so I had them replace it.
Yours looks just like mine did. Like George of the Jungle... Watch out for that... tree.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

I would look into relocating your license plate to your spare tire to keep that from breaking again, I broke mine twice then finally pulled the trigger and relocated it.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

My gosh how the hell can a tree push hard enough on a tail light that it caves the metal panel in, yet it dosnt even break the lens? Thats freaking nuts.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me, except my taillight broke and it was just a dent and a lot of paint missing. I just beat the sheet metal into submission enough to get the rivnuts in, painted and put Metalcloak's corners on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150630_075731.png
Views:	369
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	616451
Old 06-30-2015, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went to a body shop today. They quoted me $1,200 to replace the panel and paint it. The new panel is $89.00, so the rest is labor..... $1,100 in labor....

GTFO.

I'm gonna prob end up sanding the flaked area myself and coat it with a rust blocking paint and be done with it. I'm also gonna relocate the plate myself as well. I don't mind the dent, and if it was just a dent I wouldent have even srarted the thread, I would have just left it. But since the paint split and flaked, I have to do something.

It will just be a cool trail scar now. I'll prob put one of those hilarious bandiad stickers over it after I seal it.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miraclemax
Went to a body shop today. They quoted me $1,200 to replace the panel and paint it. The new panel is $89.00, so the rest is labor..... $1,100 in labor....

GTFO.

I'm gonna prob end up sanding the flaked area myself and coat it with a rust blocking paint and be done with it. I'm also gonna relocate the plate myself as well. I don't mind the dent, and if it was just a dent I wouldent have even srarted the thread, I would have just left it. But since the paint split and flaked, I have to do something.

It will just be a cool trail scar now. I'll prob put one of those hilarious bandiad stickers over it after I seal it.
That's ridiculous. For that price they quoted I would say just find a stud gun to rent/borrow and a slide hammer and just pull it out your self. I speak from experience when I say body shops try to rob you even when they don't know what the hell they're doing.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

If jeep made the darn bumpers as strong as the tail lights that wouldn't happen.
I fixed that problem too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2815014576.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	616452  
Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by olyelr
My gosh how the hell can a tree push hard enough on a tail light that it caves the metal panel in, yet it dosnt even break the lens? Thats freaking nuts.
The soft plastic stock bumper didn't take an impact of a tree so well.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, here is the temp fix for now till i plan my next move.

I masked the area, sanded it even, cleaned & degreased, applied two coats of por-15 (it's a chassis paint that blocks rust and is strong like all hell)

The seem had some very tiny cracks running along it, so I used my color match touch up paint on those. Did like 5-6 coats to really fill them in.

I wanted to get all the bare metal sealed. It is what it is for now. Don't know what direction I will go yet.

Quick Reply: Trail damage