JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   Trailskinz. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/trailskinz-309143/)

Rubi55 08-17-2014 12:03 PM

Trailskinz.

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone wheel with these magnets. Not sure how they hold up out on the trail. Looks like a great idea. Just not if they are worth the hassle

Attachment 571706

bad1chad 08-17-2014 01:53 PM

I've never had them so I can't give a first hand review. But they get awesome reviews in all the local clubs here that I've seen. They are on my shopping list.

mikeJKUR 08-17-2014 02:09 PM

I was just researching them yesterday. This is my second black vehicle and the pinstriping got really bad on my last vehicle and would like to prevent or minimize it as much as possible on this vehicle.

Mschneid 08-17-2014 03:29 PM

I have them in my "wish list", I just haven't pulled the trigger. I bought a silver jeep cause it hides a lot and if the cost ever comes down or I find a used set I will probably jump on them.

Rubi55 08-17-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR (Post 3968390)
I was just researching them yesterday. This is my second black vehicle and the pinstriping got really bad on my last vehicle and would like to prevent or minimize it as much as possible on this vehicle.

I am in same boat as you. Black Rubicon and that sound of branches dragging across my doors is killing me. Nothing I havent been able to buff out but for a couple hundred bucks I am gonna try em out. I actually like the look of the flat black Trailskinz on the Black jeep.I havent seen em in person and not much on internet as of reviews or comments worth a shot

DanBlan 08-17-2014 04:26 PM

Anyone interested in paint protection should check out Rig Rubbers.

Rubi55 08-17-2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by DanBlan (Post 3968452)

I checked these guys out. It looks like this is vinyl protection for paint where Trailskinz have heavy duty magnets.

DanBlan 08-17-2014 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rubi55 (Post 3968504)
I checked these guys out. It looks like this is vinyl protection for paint where Trailskinz have heavy duty magnets.

Magnets and paint don't play nice together. Plus you have to wash your rig every time you want to use magnets.

Rubi55 08-17-2014 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DanBlan (Post 3968519)

Magnets and paint don't play nice together. Plus you have to wash your rig every time you want to use magnets.

Got big money into my rig and tend to keep it clean so no biggie. Gonna give em a try to slow down the pinstriping and still have decent shine. Rig is only a year old and yeah I wheel it but still want to save the shine for a while

JDub23 08-17-2014 07:02 PM

I'd be more worried about dents than pin stripe...

Sent while my wife wasn't looking...

ballistik_monkey 08-17-2014 10:31 PM

I use 'em. Have plenty of pinstripes....was just tired of getting the deeper ones.
Went with Trailskinz. Love 'em.
They are great magnets. The only thing (as others have mentioned about paint)...is put them on, but dont "drag" them to adjust. pull off and put back on. According to Trailskinz, you ahould put them on a clean Jeep,etc. I cant say i wash the Jeep to go and get it dirty in just a few minutes...so mine go on without a wash. They dont move when on, so it isnt like you are scratching the paint with them.
they DO however need to come off after wheeling....you dont want the moisture trapped between the sheets and the body.

Pats fan 08-18-2014 01:14 AM

how much do thay cost?

Rubi55 08-18-2014 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Pats fan (Post 3968632)
how much do thay cost?

Attachment 571835

Rubichronic 08-18-2014 11:55 AM

I also have a black Rubi and I used these for a couple years and was happy with them. I had them through trails that were so overgrown the 1/2" thick branches forced my mirrors closed, knocked fenders loose and prevented us from opening the doors. After a couple runs on badly over grown trails WITHOUT my Trailskinz, I gave up on the paint. As mentioned, you need to apply these to clean paint, and remove them to adjust, do not slide them. I sometimes left mine on for days at a time, a few times for almost 2 weeks. But keep in mind the longer you leave them on, the more dirt, dust and moisture can become trapped between the skins and the paint. This could lead to paint damage or compromise the magnetic bond, which is why it is best practise to remove them after each outing. You should also consider their limb risers and windshield pillar guards.

mikeJKUR 08-18-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rubichronic (Post 3968846)
I also have a black Rubi and I used these for a couple years and was happy with them. I had them through trails that were so overgrown the 1/2" thick branches forced my mirrors closed, knocked fenders loose and prevented us from opening the doors. After a couple runs on badly over grown trails WITHOUT my Trailskinz, I gave up on the paint. As mentioned, you need to apply these to clean paint, and remove them to adjust, do not slide them. I sometimes left mine on for days at a time, a few times for almost 2 weeks. But keep in mind the longer you leave them on, the more dirt, dust and moisture can become trapped between the skins and the paint. This could lead to paint damage or compromise the magnetic bond, which is why it is best practise to remove them after each outing. You should also consider their limb risers and windshield pillar guards.

Do you have any pictures showing them installed? Where did you store them?

Mschneid 08-18-2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DanBlan (Post 3968452)

For that price I would rather have the magnets. They don't look reusable.

I guess for a fraction of the price you can buy the 3M clear coat spray on stuff.

DanBlan 08-18-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mschneid (Post 3969001)
For that price I would rather have the magnets. They don't look reusable.

I guess for a fraction of the price you can buy the 3M clear coat spray on stuff.

You are correct. They are not reusable. They go on once and stay on so you're always protected.
They come off pretty easily too incase you ever need to replace a panel.

Rubichronic 08-18-2014 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR (Post 3968981)
Do you have any pictures showing them installed? Where did you store them?

I didn't have space to store them on a fridge or freezer, so I made a cardboard storage sleeve and stored them behind the couch or in the shed lol. Ideally you would store them stuck on something or at least flat. I know longer have pics that I can post as my laptop with those pics kicked the bucket, but if you go to the website there was a pic of my jeep when it was still stock with the skins on someplace.

Mschneid 08-19-2014 05:59 AM

How about a group buy on the Trailskinz? Not sure what the $ conversion is from Can$ to US$ or what freight would be.

I have a quote from Pat from 12/3/2013:

"$289 for the four door JKU which would cost $36 to ship because they are quite heavy!"

jksteve2013 08-19-2014 07:30 AM

look atthe shape...any decent sign shop can replicate the trailskinz....very simple.

trailskinz seem to be wht the newbs here in bc get....6 months later they ditch them for either no protection or for rig rubbers.

if your going to do it...do it right the first time and get rig rubbers.

Rubi55 08-19-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jksteve2013 (Post 3969336)
look atthe shape...any decent sign shop can replicate the trailskinz....very simple. trailskinz seem to be wht the newbs here in bc get....6 months later they ditch them for either no protection or for rig rubbers. if your going to do it...do it right the first time and get rig rubbers.

The point is I dont want to 3M my whole rig. Just trying to prevent my doors and side of rig beat up. I like the idea of magnets to take on and off. To say I am a noob cause I want these is kinda dumb. All I want is to try and save the paint some on my new rig. Some people have no problems tearing the paint off of there 35000$ rig but for me a couple hundred bucks for some insurance dont seem like a bad idea

Mschneid 08-19-2014 11:38 AM

I guess the "Big Rubbers" don't scratch:thinking: 'cause if the Big Rubbers get scratched your Jeep will look like crap until you spend another $400 for new ones. I too would rather spend the money on the magnetic and take them off when not wheeling so my Jeep looks nice. :doh:

Cobragut 08-19-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rubi55 (Post 3968336)
Anyone wheel with these magnets. Not sure how they hold up out on the trail. Looks like a great idea. Just not if they are worth the hassle

Attachment 571706

for what it's worth. i have tried both magnets and rig rubbers. magnets suck, they protected the paint from pin stripes, but, they reeked havoc on the paint underneath. i know, clean the panels...etc.. sometimes i just don't have time to detail my rig and want to go wheel'n. after more scratches than the bush i throw out the magnets and went with rigrubbers. i went with the clear version as i like the color of my ride... almost 2-years later the rig rubbers are still in almost perfect condition. the installation was super easy (just had to detail the jeep once). once installed they are near invisible, so invisible that a lot of my co-workers had to be shown exactly what i bought. were they pricey? maybe to some but cheap insurance to me. they really were only pricey because i blew cash on the magnets, which i tossed in the garbage once they trashed my ride.

one bonus that was un-expected was after my rig got broken into (driver side pass window smashed), the guys at the repair shop said that they actually protected my paint when the sh!tbag crawled in the window to open the door, they said that usually the paint gets all messed up.... not in this case...(kind of neat to hear this from someone else)...

if you want to see for yourself, check out the vid below, or, hit me up i will take you through some of the narrowest areas (dirt bikers paradise)...

save your money on magnets, protect your ride 24-7 for at least 2-years (like i said, 2-years and still going strong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBuJUPz4gw

Cobragut 08-19-2014 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mschneid (Post 3969485)
I guess the "Big Rubbers" don't scratch:thinking: 'cause if the Big Rubbers get scratched your Jeep will look like crap until you spend another $400 for new ones. I too would rather spend the money on the magnetic and take them off when not wheeling so my Jeep looks nice. :doh:

i have to disagree... they don't scratch.. not sure where you heard/got this one from. if you scratch these then whatever scratched them will likely shift the magnet, resulting in paint damage... rather scratch the rig rubber than the jeep.. just my opinion of course..

TheFrankenberry 08-19-2014 04:30 PM

Xpel film on the doors for $1400 is always an option too!

Great to know about Rig Rubbers, thanks!

AirJordan613 08-20-2014 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use them. I have probably the worst paint scheme for offroading, a black sahara with painted flares. I use the skinz along with plastidipping my sahara flares for paint protection. Works great!

Rubi55 08-20-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by AirJordan613 (Post 3970134)
I use them. I have probably the worst paint scheme for offroading, a black sahara with painted flares. I use the skinz along with plastidipping my sahara flares for paint protection. Works great!

No problem with them scratching your paint. Do you use them on the highway.

AirJordan613 08-20-2014 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rubi55 (Post 3970137)
No problem with them scratching your paint. Do you use them on the highway.

If you drag them when removing or installing they will scratch. Otherwise no scratching. I've used them on the highway but only from my hotel to the trail or short distances like that.