JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   Tungsten 4x4 winch? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/tungsten-4x4-winch-343637/)

Cutman 09-11-2017 09:34 AM

Tungsten 4x4 winch?

I came across this brand on Amazon at 12000lb with a synthetic line for $400 new. Anybody know of them first hand? They have all 5-star reviews. I understand that a lot of people think I should spend $1k on a Warn. But I'm not. So we can skip all that.

resharp001 09-11-2017 10:22 AM

I can't speak to that brand specifically, but I would say that any winch that fits your budget is better than no winch at all. I'm not a believer that you need a $1k+ Warn either unless you just need that "W" emblem to feel like a stud. I have a Smitty X20 10k synthetic line myself and it works great. That doesn't seem like a bad price for a 12k lb winch with a synthetic line. I would note that looks to be IP67. Likely your not going to be out doing extended submersion water crossings that might require a higher rating. Also going to guess this would be used for typical/routine offroad recovery rather than trying to dead weight dangle your jeep over the side of a cliff. Bit of a gamble in regards to quality and customer service buying something not as well known, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't suit your need.

I would note that having a wireless remote is a nice feature, but not end of the world. You still have to go up to the winch and flip the switch to wireless.

63expert 09-11-2017 03:42 PM

How bad do you not want to be stuck?

$575 to my door for a brand new Warn M8000.

Will you be be able to get parts for a $400 Chicom winch in 3 years?

S_Reynolds 03-02-2021 03:07 PM

Good Gear

This is NOT a chicomie winch like the idiot stated they are a company out of Australia I personally jnow 6 people that use them and I just purchased this for my self .

karls10jk 03-02-2021 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by S_Reynolds (Post 4377193)
This is NOT a chicomie winch like the idiot stated they are a company out of Australia I personally jnow 6 people that use them and I just purchased this for my self .

Can you provide more details on the winch- how frequently you use, how long you've had it, etc? I'm intrigued because they've got a 12k lb with synthetic line on Amazon for $336. The cheapest of the cheap synthetic winch lines are $100 and that would leave $230 for the winch, but you've also got to figure in shipping on that thing. I don't see how they're making any money at that price point unless people are ordering them by the pallet. I'll admit that I've got a cheap Chinese winch and if I need parts for it, I'm on my own for sourcing those parts. It would be nice to move this winch to a non-critical position and have a winch where I can easily find parts without digging around too much and without paying for the shiny W across the front of it. Thank you and welcome to the forum buddy.

S_Reynolds 03-02-2021 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4377196)
Can you provide more details on the winch- how frequently you use, how long you've had it, etc? I'm intrigued because they've got a 12k lb with synthetic line on Amazon for $336. The cheapest of the cheap synthetic winch lines are $100 and that would leave $230 for the winch, but you've also got to figure in shipping on that thing. I don't see how they're making any money at that price point unless people are ordering them by the pallet. I'll admit that I've got a cheap Chinese winch and if I need parts for it, I'm on my own for sourcing those parts. It would be nice to move this winch to a non-critical position and have a winch where I can easily find parts without digging around too much and without paying for the shiny W across the front of it. Thank you and welcome to the forum buddy.

the guys that I know I've had them for a few years and they use them for off-road recovery rescue in northern Arizona my first experience with the 12000 pound winch we were doing an off-road run in Kingman Arizona and one of the guys had to use it three different occasions that day because people can't drive off-road I just personally ordered the 12000 pound winch yesterday and waiting for delivery I've talked to the guys that have had them for a few years and they use them at least once or twice a month and they've had no issues and I purchased the same one that you mentioned yesterday