JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Show & Tell (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/)
-   -   VIDEO: Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit "Constrained" System Explanation (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/video-rubicon-express-long-arm-kit-constrained-system-explanation-52746/)

wayoflife 08-27-2008 06:54 AM

VIDEO: Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit "Constrained" System Explanation

By request, I am posting the complete interview that I did with Scott Becker of Rubicon Express at the 2007 SEMA show in Las Vegas, Nevada. In this video, Scott gives a detailed overview of their front and rear radius arm long arm kit and attempts to sell the idea of why they would purposefully design their kit to be "constrained" or have limited flex (by comparison to a 4-link setup) and why it is something that you would want. Click on the screen or link below to see the video interview:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/uploaded/re-sema07.jpg

Rubicon Express Long Arm Kit Interview at SEMA

SASQUATCH 08-27-2008 07:23 AM

Interesting, vid quality was low, hard to see any details, maybe someone on here is already using this kit and can vouch for it's performance :dontknow2:.
Like the part about keeping the vehicle together in one piece offroading, that's always a good thing.

Major Ho 08-27-2008 07:42 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say it has NO flex. But it certainly is limited.

Their reasoning behind WHY might be kinda weak. Still a little surprised though coming from a big name like RE.

JKid 08-27-2008 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH (Post 658057)
Interesting, vid quality was low, hard to see any details, maybe someone on here is already using this kit and can vouch for it's performance :dontknow2:.
Like the part about keeping the vehicle together in one piece offroading, that's always a good thing.

click watch high quality. Youtube makes you do that now.

wayoflife 08-27-2008 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH (Post 658057)

try clicking on the high quality version as you might get a little more detail from it. but, i do have to say that seeing things on it isn't as interesting to me as hearing what is being said. as far as keeping the vehicle together goes, i'm sorry but i'm not even sure what he means by it. however, i can tell you that there is a reason why so many of us want to disconnect our swaybars or get an aftermarket one that is softer tortion rate like currie makes. certainly, by disconnecting, you can achieve greater flex and keeping all four on the floor as long as you can will give you more stabilty and traction on the trail. of course, the lack of it of due to limited flex can be a real problem.

Originally Posted by Major Ho (Post 658102)
I wouldn't necessarily say it has NO flex. But it certainly is limited.

Their reasoning behind WHY might be kinda weak. Still a little surprised though coming from a big name like RE.

my apologise. i have since reworded what i said to better reflect things more accurately.

Hellbilly 08-27-2008 12:05 PM

deleted comment

SASQUATCH 08-27-2008 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wayoflife (Post 658148)
as far as keeping the vehicle together goes, i'm sorry but i'm not even sure what he means by it. however, i can tell you that there is a reason why so many of us want to disconnect our swaybars or get an aftermarket one that is softer tortion rate like currie makes. certainly, by disconnecting, you can achieve greater flex and keeping all four on the floor as long as you can will give you more stabilty and traction on the trail. of course, the lack of it of due to limited flex can be a real problem.

So then you're not a fan of this particular kit from them basically?

HOMEGLASS 08-27-2008 12:16 PM

I have the kit. Admittedly, I bought it because of the MOPAR endorsement. Haven't been wheeling yet, but I will when it cools down a little in the desert (I live near san diego). As far as the road, the ride is excellent. Corners really well and I can't get the ESP to engage!

Anybody planning any trips soon? Be more than happy to accompany them with my jeep and run it through its paces.

I'm a newbie to off-roading, so my configuration was based mostly on going with safe-bets as opposed to pushing the envelope.

wayoflife 08-27-2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH (Post 658503)
So then you're not a fan of this particular kit from them basically?

let's just say that i'm not a fan of radius arms in general and only because of it's significant limitations.

so you know, i only posted this video because someone asked for it in another discussion over in modified tech. this kit is well made kit as is all RE kits but if you're looking for flex, you won't find it with this one even though it is a long arm system. from what i have seen, their 3.5" super flex kit offers more flex than this.

wayoflife 08-27-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HOMEGLASS (Post 658507)
I have the kit. Admittedly, I bought it because of the MOPAR endorsement. Haven't been wheeling yet, but I will when it cools down a little in the desert (I live near san diego). As far as the road, the ride is excellent. Corners really well and I can't get the ESP to engage!

Anybody planning any trips soon? Be more than happy to accompany them with my jeep and run it through its paces.

I'm a newbie to off-roading, so my configuration was based mostly on going with safe-bets as opposed to pushing the envelope.

on road, it drives and feels great - i know, i have riden in a jk with it on. the only point of this video is to point out that it has very limited felx and according to RE, they wanted it that way. of course, this train of though goes completely against the train of though of what jeepers are looking for. if their thinking is correct, why bother disconnecting your swaybar links?

being that your just south of me, i hope you will join us on our runs. :yup: