Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$$$$$$

Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work overtime, eat ramen, don't pay some jackass $100 an hour to do what you can Google.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default $$$

I know the feeling of having too many toys. Hard to put all my cash into the Jeep with a motorcycle, boat, & three kids. Not mentioning the wife. I'm about to make a couple mods pretty soon. Just can't do them all at once.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a male prostitute. I charge by the inch. Lots of money.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ballsdeep
I'm a male prostitute. I charge by the inch. Lots of money.
A lot of clients to make up for loss in size lol
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by big c
Where dose everyone get the money for mods I look at my jeep ( stock) and I'm like we'll I'd like to do this but it's like wow that expensive and to do it I have to do this this and this I want a sweet jeep but don't want to put huge amount of money i don't know how you guys can do all this it's my first jeep and I'm learning a lot and don't really off road crazy but man this is expensive
Relax. Take a breath. Learn to enjoy the planning/research thing. And last but not least ENJOY YOUR JEEP. They can be a lot of fun stock.
Believe me, I'm in the same boat.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by profebill
Work overtime, eat ramen, don't pay some jackass $100 an hour to do what you can Google.
So true!!!
Ramen great stuff!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goodie

Relax. Take a breath. Learn to enjoy the planning/research thing. And last but not least ENJOY YOUR JEEP. They can be a lot of fun stock.
Believe me, I'm in the same boat.
So true.
Enjoy your jeep. You can do and go just about anywhere stock. I had the small highway tires. Followed guys with lifts and 35's. they told me to air down and disconnect. I went almost everywhere they went with no need for help. I got scared! But was super amazed at the angle of the hills and terrain I went up and through.

One mod at a time!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every hour of overtime pay I make goes into a separate savings account for fishing trips and jeep mods. It's motivating to know all the extra time in the office will eventually be a new mod or a day of fishing on the river.

Also, there's no rush. Mod a little bit at a time if you can't get everything at once. I was bone stock for at least a year before I bought a bumper & winch. 1.5-2 years later a 3" lift & wheel spacers. Then a tire carrier. 6 more months before I got 35s. Then bushwhacker flat flares a couple months afterwards. For me it was a process of slowly building my rig and in a weird way I think I appreciated each mod even more than if I did everything all at once.

Researching & planning is half the fun! Look for scratch & dent sales. Browse the "for sale" section of this forum... I've got so many parts for 50-60% of the retail just from other members here. I scored a GOBI rack for 1/3 the cost off Craigslist, so sometimes you'll get lucky.

Finally, learn to do the install & maintenance yourself (like others have said). If you can use a wrench, then you can install a lift kit. This forum is a wonderful source of information for DIY projects and it will save you $$$. Have fun out there!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Good tips on here, I find stuff around my house and garage that I don't use anymore or would rather use the money for a mod and sell it on Craigslist. Then I use the money for mods. Or I'll buy cheap small/shipable items on Craigslist and sell them on eBay for a lot more. Hell even the free section on Craigslist has stuff you can pick up and resell.

Best Craigslist tips I can give you- search misspellings. I picked up a "trailor" once doing this method. I was able to offer half his asking price cause I knew people weren't calling him interested because he has misspelled trailer and no one was searching for it.
If someone is asking too much for something you want or pricing their used item too high, you could always create a listing for the same item at a lower price. It will give you an idea if there are people interested in that item you want because others will be asking you if it's still for sale etc. it will also most likely force the seller and item you are interested in to lowering their price on the item you want because your lower priced ad is more interesting to perspective buyers. Hope that makes sense
Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big c
Where dose everyone get the money for mods I look at my jeep ( stock) and I'm like we'll I'd like to do this but it's like wow that expensive and to do it I have to do this this and this I want a sweet jeep but don't want to put huge amount of money i don't know how you guys can do all this it's my first jeep and I'm learning a lot and don't really off road crazy but man this is expensive
I work 80-90 hours a week. That'll do it.