Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

$10k build challenge

Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty capable for hunting and camping as is. But if you want to lift it, save some $$ and just keep it simple, like 33s or 35s with a 2-2.5" lift.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I love when the kids that don't know shit tell me how tough they are.
BTW your jeep is more capible to off road then the guy in the seat. I would learn to actually drive off road befor using saying the jeep set up is holding you back.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a new 2011 3.8 with 53 miles on it (take out for a 6.2 LS) in my 2007. Also a AEV Magnuson Supercharger, Gibson headers and ARB skid plates. All for under 10k.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10k i could do alot with... But go to 4 wheel parts that might get you a bumper or 2 after labor...
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did some mild build to my 2012 Sport for less than $10k.

AEV front and rear bumpers and tire carrier
285/70/17 (33") Goodyear Duratracs on stock wheels (all 5 of them)
1.5" Spidertrax spacers to correct the wheel offset
AEV Dualsport XT 2.5" suspension lift, including AEV control arm relocation brackets. This lift came with Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Warn VR8000 winch and mounting hardware
AEV Procal to correct the speedometer and code to configure DRL's, etc.

There's some other miscellaneous junk like neoprene seat covers, some grab handles for the roll bar, the AEV CHMSL for the rear tire, and some recovery gear (tow straps, shackles, trailer hitch, receiver, locking pin.

I still need:

LED headlamps (Trucklite or KC) $450-$500
Rear backup lamp for the tire carrier ($250?)
Throw in $100 for wires, fuses, relays, and a bottle of Jack for when I'm sitting there saying, "f*! why the hell didn't I just buy an sPod?!"

And based on my rough calculations I'd still have $1000 or so before I hit $10k.

All of it went on a credit card for convenience and free cash back ($85 or so), and then the card was paid off immediately. My best advice is to never go into debt for mods. Build slower than your cash flows or save up.

The build is way more than I need. What I do off road is best described as expedition driving or light to mild crawling. Some of the places we camp take a few hours of wheeling to get to, but it's nothing that would trash a rig as long as moderate care is taken. The goal is to have fun and also enjoy the Jeep for a long time. I went with what I thought were respectable vendors that make good gear, doing things primarily for better function and good looks being a secondary goal.

Northridge did the install; thumbs up for a fun company to do business with.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would gear up with all ur recovery needs, straps, gloves, trail tools, hi-lift, shackles, bumper and winch, etc..
-Also a tuner cpu like superchips and exhaust system. It makes a tiny difference in performance and mpg savings, but despite what anyone would say.. The better an engine breathes, the better it runs.
-An air compressor, 12volt unit. Id love onboard but thats more $$
-33" tires and a leveling kit (what im trying to complete now) this will keep it close to stock and not require much if any more maintenance underneath as a result. Going to 35's, i hav learned from this site, means to be smart and safe about it you need to upgrade some things and truss and/or gusset.
-any exterior lights u might want/need
-cb radio
-floormats (i use weathertech. Love em)
-seat covers (iv got a sahara and want to keep the leather looking nice)
-snorkel if applicable (id like one)
-jack, stands, tools etc to do ur own maintenance on ur underpinnings and rotate ur tires.

Im a relative noob myself and i agree the stock jku is great offroad as is. Iv been having fun on light to moderate and havent really damaged anything (scraped up skid plates, crushed exhaust tip)
I am not an avid offroader as my lifestyle and work does not allow. I am building to be practical and relative to my own unique personal situation.
Everyone has their own situation, i would recommend you think about how deep u want to go and go wheeling to determine through necessity what u want/need.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never really understood these threads or the how much you got into your jeep , really 10 grand I never figure out how most of these guys spend that much

You want to spend that much money when all you really need for what you want is a set of good tires
Old 04-10-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

He is not spending 10k on a jeep, he doesn't even own one. Just another kid dreaming.
The other questions to ask is why would you throw 10k at a jeep you owe money on? And why if you are serious about wheeling would you install a pro rock 44?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would still keep it simple like my current 2010.

2.5" coil lift
35's
re-gear
some bumpers and a winch
and maybe a new stereo for my enjoyment
and pocket any left over money
Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance leveling kit. 16" wheels of some sort. 255/85/r16 Toyo Open Country MTs. The rest on beer.

Quick Reply: $10k build challenge