Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

08 JKU worth purchasing wrecked to rebuild?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 JKU worth purchasing wrecked to rebuild?

Hello all,

I'm new to the fourm and looking at venturing into the Jeep world.
I have come across a totaled '08 JKU that has a bit of aftermarket work done to it already. Lift, 35's, Poison spyder bumpers and sliders diff covers etc.

It was hit on the front end sort of a glancing off the front bumper hit that doesn't appear to have done much, if anything, to the frame. But it bent the floorpan slightly, pictured below it crunched the upper frame rail and pushed it towards the cab a bit. The tire appears to have struck the end of the slider and thats what tweaked the body. Axle loks straight but UCA and probably LCA mounts are twisted. And the passenger front door is off a bit. Closes but not flush.

So my question is if I get this for a screaming deal ($6k range) 08 JKU 110k miles and fix it back to driveable is it worhtwhile as a weekender winter driver not a DD? I know it will be shot value wise I'm not concerned about that mostly just how bad a shot like that damaged it. Gice me your thoughts thanks. I did search but there are really only frame bent questions out there not really floor pan bends.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	592916Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	592917Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	592918Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	592919
Old 01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd pass. It looks like there could be more damage than you see. It could turn into a Pandora's box. Id at least bring someone who is knowledgeable and trust worthy to look at it.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrod250
I'd pass. It looks like there could be more damage than you see. It could turn into a Pandora's box. Id at least bring someone who is knowledgeable and trust worthy to look at it.
Agreed.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I know cars pretty well I just don't know jeeps very well. I guess my real question is whether that bend in the pan is an issue provided there isn't serious damage elsewhere. I might just shoot them a really low offer and see if they bite. I have access to a body shop so I might go run it by one of the estimators down there and see what they say.
Thanks for the response I'll be posting here if I end up purchasing it.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And if the control mounts are twisted like you said, the axle housing could very well be cracked.

Last edited by jrod250; 01-20-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 08 JKU worth purchasing wrecked to rebuild?