Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

1.5 - 2.5 inch lift questions for tire rubbing

Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BFG make a mud tire (KM2) in 255/80-17 that fit (on my stock in-lifted Jeep) with no trimming or adjusting anything. They were more aggressive and taller and were a great (for me) first set of after OEM tires.

I installed them on a Rubicon, but I think your original springs should give ample clearance for the tires and you benefit by having the factory ride.

Since then I have a small spring lift and adjusted steering stops and now have a larger (285/75-17) set of KM2s that fit with no issues (yet), I also had to re-center my axle, that small shift made a big difference in clearance. When I first put the 285s on I couldn't go over speed bumps with the wheel turned very far without rubbing, then the lift and corrections and fed/rev lock to lock stuffed with no issues.

I did lose a small bit of turn radius, but like you am not a spacer fan and wanted to minimize wear issues created by moving the tire contact patch outwards. Sounds like you may be a good candidate for a set of 58/59 18/19 springs instead of your current setup, will give lift without turning your Jeep into a marshmallow.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
BFG make a mud tire (KM2) in 255/80-17 that fit (on my stock in-lifted Jeep) with no trimming or adjusting anything. ...but I think your original springs should give ample clearance for the tires and you benefit by having the factory ride.
My tires must be wider. I hear the BFG MTs run small, so this doesn't really surprise me that 265/70R18 Cooper tires may in fact be bigger than the 255 KM2s you installed.

In any case, mine rubbed. I am beginning to think the 2dr might have less turning lock than the 4dr since so many people report no rubbing at lock on 2dr but mine clearly rubbed.

I did lose a small bit of turn radius, but like you am not a spacer fan and wanted to minimize wear issues created by moving the tire contact patch outwards. Sounds like you may be a good candidate for a set of 58/59 18/19 springs instead of your current setup, will give lift without turning your Jeep into a marshmallow.
I'm not really convinced that the springs make a meaningful difference. If I were to change springs it'd be aftermarket. If I could find reliable information about the actual spring RATE then it may make it worthwhile to switch to different OEM springs. But at present my Jeep rides fine and works so I'm going to leave it alone. If I put a winch on the front (likely in some months) then I may wind up having to address the springs, but in that case why not just get aftermarket springs and ditch the spacers altogether?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Just bump stop to your ride height, done!

Quick Reply: 1.5 - 2.5 inch lift questions for tire rubbing