Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2.5" Lift/35s Addons Help

Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Lift/35s Addons Help

Recently acquired a 2014 Sahara JKU. Never lifted my old YJ like I wanted to, so definitely doing it this time. I am not the most mechanical guy and really need some advice.

Basically, I'm going to buy a 2.5" Teraflex lift with shocks to be able to fit some 35s on, and I'm not sure what else I will need. I have done some digging but haven't been able to find anything definitive, and am looking for some help.

What I'm pretty sure I need:
Exhaust Spacers
Front/Rear Adjustable Track Bars
Wheels with 4.5" spacing or less

What I'm not sure about:
Geometry Correction Brackets vs. New Control Arms
Caster Correction
Steering Stiffener

This will be basically an on-road vehicle unless I win the lottery and can do all of the other things I would need to make it off-road worthy, so keep in mind that it will not be climbing mountains and my budget is limited. Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure there are things I forgot/don't know about.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Do as much research as you can, if you are planning on adding weight, go with something besides Teraflex. As I have added weight (bumpers and winch and things) it has sagged out, and is not nearly as tall as it should be.

Weight come quickly and easily, so keep that in mind. I was also told by the supplier I purchased the lift from, that Teraflex considers a hard top and a full sized spare to be additional weight.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Actually it takes more to make a lifted vehicle drive good on road then off. You can half ass an off road suspension and still have good results. Driving at 80 mph you really want things to be right.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Whatever lift you go with, you’ll want to make sure to correct your caster. Lifting the jeep will lower the caster, so you need to raise the caster again. Caster is 4.2* from the factory. 2.5” lift probably going to lower than to the mid 3*’s give or take. That might not sound like a big difference, but you’d be surprised. Based on your description of use, you’re probably a good candidate to just use some control arm geo brackets. You’ll lose some ground clearance, but doesn’t sound like that will affect you much for now.

Keep in mind that those bigger tires will stress the whole steering system a bit. A lift will typically include a new front adjustable track bar, but at some point you might find yourself needing to upgrade drag link, tie rod, and ball joints as the factory joints will wear faster with 35s. The ball joints have plastic internals that don’t tend to hold up well with 35s. Just keep those items in mind.

Quick Reply: 2.5" Lift/35s Addons Help