JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   2 door or 4 door? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/2-door-4-door-313239/)

valleyguy 11-12-2014 07:54 AM

2 door or 4 door?

I'm sure this is a debate that has been hashed out over and over but this is for my own phurcahse. I have decided that I'm going to get a wrangler, and after wheeling cherokee's and grand cherokee's I was looking at an unlimited, but I really like the 2 door. This is my plan for wheeling/mods. No more than 3.5 to 4 inches of lift and 35's, rockrails, bumpers and a winch as well as skids. Wheeling condtions are moderate woods trails with snow,mud,roots and random rock gardens on some of the trails. Some trails are a bit tight for a 4 door but we do get them through without to much hassle. This will be a daily driver weekend wheeler. I love the 2 door but looked at the 4 door because I'm use to wheeling a 4 door cherokee or grand (both had about 4.5 inches of lift on 34's) I felt it would be usefull because of the extra space but they do get hung up alot on our trails and where I'm considering staying low with the lift size this is a bit of a factor but at the same time this jeep needs to be more than a wheeler. I have a family but we have a new rouge to run around in and I have no problems helping the kids into the back of a 2 door. I'm sure no matter which way I go I will have some regrets I was just curious what you guys thought about my plans and which jeep might be a little better for me. Again I understand in the end it is really up to me but I'm just looking for some input from people that actually wheel these jeeps and not just some muddy back roads.

countrydude1992 11-12-2014 08:29 AM

If you have a family sized vehicle already (your rogue) I would opt for the 2 door. Tighter turns. Shorter wheel base. This is just my opinion but I feel like 35"s on a 2 door are close to 37"s on a 4 door. Since you mentioned keeping a low center of gravity, look into flat fenders too. That will let you run 35"s on 2.5" of lift instead of 4.

That being said, I have a 2 door and a lot of times I wish I had a 4 door. But my jeep is my only vehicle. Luckily I'm in college with no kids so it works fine, but the lack of storage space is definitely an issue on occasion. I enjoy the occasional camping trip and I'm limited to 2 people and our gear. And as for trails and general wheeling, I'm low on room for tools, spare parts, etc.

Overall, it definitely has to do with what oh expect to get out of the jeep. If you want it as more of a wheeling vehicle and a toy, the 2 door fits the bill. But if you're looking for a more comfortable family vehicle, the 4 door gets you basically equal offroad performance but bigger seats and more space.

Let us know which direction you go!

(This post is not backed by science and is strictly my personal opinion lol)

jk_sea 11-12-2014 08:44 AM

Pour yourself a beverage and do a search on some of the 2-door versus 4-door threads that have circulated around here. Be entertained for days. Whatever you choose, you'll be back to comment someday why what you chose is best :cool:

jckid 11-12-2014 08:54 AM

You really can't go wrong either way. I previously had a 4-dr., but have a 2-dr. now. I loved my 4-dr., but I prefer the 2-dr. It's more fun to drive, feels like a "classic" Jeep, and I like it off-road better too, because it's smaller size makes it feel more nimble in tight spots. I don't have kids though. With kids, you might like the 4-dr. Easier for them to get in and out and more storage space. The 4-dr. would probably feel more like what you're used to wheeling, but maybe going to a short wheelbase would be a fun change. One nice thing is that you don't have to go as big on the lift and tires with a 2-dr., compared to a 4-dr. Definitely test drive both before you decide.

jeep-creep 11-12-2014 11:17 AM

I've had various 2 doors since 2001, I just obught my first 4 door. I'll never look back. So much more room. Still have a special place for those 2 doors but, gear, wife/kid/dog, whatever you want to bring..plenty of room.

mattgt5 11-12-2014 11:27 AM

I've tried to go back to the 2 door twice and it just doesn't work. I have 3 kids 6 and under, we have a suburban as a family vehicle. It never fails that I have to take one of them somewhere or pick up another somewhere else. The 2 door was a PITA. I also enjoy my 4 door off road. 37" look better on a jku and it actually climbed obstacles better with the longer wheel base. Tougher in turns, but nothing is perfect.

sent from my work leash

Grimmjpr 11-12-2014 12:32 PM

I had 2 TJs and then when it was time for a JK I couldn't decide 2 or 4 door. I ended up going with a new 2012, 2 door. I figured its just me and my girlfriend no need for the 4 door. Well pretty much from the time I left the dealer in the 2 door I wondered if I should have gone with the 4 door. Well after many long trips for days out in the desert camping and exploring......and playing tetris for days prior to leaving to fit everything in the 2 door......then if i needed to get to anything i had to unpack a bunch of stuff to get to anything....I decided to get a 2015, 4 door.

Well so far its been great being able to cart my parents around a bit, not have to store the back seat in the garage anymore, and though I havent taken a long trip yet I can already see how nice the extra room and the extra 2 doors worth of access to the cargo area will be. I havent regretted getting the 4 door at all. I guess if all you were doing was giant boulder strewn trails the 2 door will offer better breakover but for anything other then that I'd say 4 door.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark Doiron 11-12-2014 12:51 PM

I'm an expert on this: After four kids and eight grandkids, I've learned small kids don't stay small. :-)

valleyguy 11-12-2014 01:52 PM

Thank you to all who replied. I have test driven both several times with really no difference noticed in road manners with the nod going to the 4 door because of the longer wheelbase. I can't take them on the trail to really test then so the best I've had was a buddy or two letting me try their's on the trail but that's usually just one obstacle. I do like the space of the 4 door but there was so many times all the tj's and jk's walk around or through and odstacle that my higher lifted cherokee would catch on and need some skinny pedal to get up or I was just getting hung up in general. I like to crawl and let the tires and lockers do there job so I think that's what interested me in the 2 door. The added versatility of the 4 door I'm sure would be greatly appreciated tho. It will be spring before I make the jump because my car for trade in is in storage for the winter. I kinda feel like the 4 door is the choice for me but time will tell. I'll be lurking here in the meantime reading and making a list for parts. Bumper and winch will be bought by the dealer and thrown into the price so I can order my lift right away lol.

mook8651 11-12-2014 03:11 PM

I have 2dr now and and a little one on the way and I'm debating on going to a 4door or staying with mine. I'll prob wait to see how it works out with mine before I jump into anything. My wife has her compass but I know that I'm going to have to take the baby form time to time so.