Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Soft Top

Old 01-02-2016, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Soft Top

Hello I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I am about to buy a soft top for my Jeep. I found one online that is from a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X. They are both 2 door models.

I am wondering if Jeep soft tops are interchangeable between models and between years.
Is there a way to find out which years and models will fit my Jeep?
Is there a way to know it will fit mine without actually installing it?
Are there any other checks I should do before I buy it?

Thnaks in advance
-Steve
Old 01-04-2016, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully this will help you out:

There are two different styles of factory JK soft top. There is the style that tucks under the door surrounds and there is the style that uses tension cables. If I am remembering correctly, the former was used from 2007-2009 and the latter was used from 2010 to present. That being said, you can use either style on any year JK as long as you have the matching hardware with it. This is then saying that 2007-2009 hardware is not compatible with a 2010-present soft top.

If you are starting out with no soft top hardware (i.e. Your JK came out of the factory with only a hard top), then here are some tips to make sure you are successful in finding a good used soft top:

1. Make sure the top fabric is in good condition. ALWAYS personally inspect every square inch of the fabric before agreeing to buy it. The last thing you want is to get a soft top installed, only to find a rip/hole or damaged zipper on it. Repairs can be expensive and/or annoying to deal with. In many cases, a repair can't be done.

2. Make sure all of the hardware is there: Complete bow assembly, header bar (usually already attached to fabric), tailgate bar, tailgate bar retainer clips (2), door surrounds (2), door surround knobs (4), bow assembly mounts (2), mount screws (4), velcro strips (2), and snap-on elastic rear window roll straps (2).

3. Make sure that the three zip-out windows are in good condition; they scratch easily and the zippers may have issues. Windows can be found in clear and tinted varieties. The tinted windows are generally more desirable than the clear. Make sure you know which kind is being sold before showing up to buy a used top.

Other considerations:

1. There are different materials (read: qualities) of soft top fabrics: Standard, premium, sail cloth, twill, etc....sorry, I can't keep them all apart. Haha. Just make sure that you research to know what fabric you are getting for your money. If you are buying a used factory soft top from someone on Craigslist, then there's a good chance that it will be a standard.

2. Soft tops don't last forever. Depending on many variables, you will get anywhere from 1 to 10+ years out of a soft top. Be careful with it and keep up on maintenance.

3. Prices are all over the place when it comes to used soft tops. On average, I've seen complete soft tops offered from $300 to $600. Sometimes you see offers for higher, but they tend not to sell unless they are a higher quality of fabric. But, there are deals out there....I managed to get my last complete soft top for well under $200 in excellent condition.

4. Although I have absolutely no experience with aftermarket soft tops, I do suggest taking a look at the Bestop Trektop NX. They get great reviews and offer an alternative take on the soft top.

Last edited by warpeg; 01-04-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Soft Top