Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 JK defective head finally fixed

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK defective head finally fixed

My 2012 unlimited has ticked like a bad watch since the day I bought it. Each dealership said it was normal. Last week, the check engine light finally came on and threw code P0304, misfire on cylinder #4. I took the Jeep in Friday, they again said the tick was normal and flashed the computer. Again I told them that there was a problem with defective heads, but they insisted that Jeep required them to flash the computer with an update before doing anything further and to just bring it back if the light came on again. It came on as I pulled in my driveway. I took it back on Tuesday and the agreed to replace the head. Picked the Jeep up today. To say that it sounds better is an understatement. I'll let you hear it for yourself.

I recorded both videos with the same iphone, the same way.

Here is before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZXEhRr-Zpw

Here is after, and yes it is running the whole time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBrhuRxFfs

So if you have a 2012 and it doesn't sound like # 2, I'd take it to the dealer...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, what a difference. Great comparison. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I can't believe they didn't do something in the beginning. Anyone who can hear can tell there was something wrong in the first vid. I'm guessing that dealerships name is Helen Keller Jeep?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I'm guessing that dealerships name is Helen Keller Jeep?
That's the funniest thing anyone's said around here in a long time.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
MTG
JK Freak

That is amazing. Glad you got it fixed!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I first took it to the dealership who fixed it, they compared it to a new one on the lot. It sounded the same. When I picked it up I complained and they grabbed a handful of keys and started several (I think 5 or 6) so I could hear them. They all sounded close to mine. I couldn't argue much because they all sounded like mine. This issue is HUGE because more seem to have the problem than don't. The first dealer I took it to said the same thing as well. Sounds like the others.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I am glad you got yours fixed, but i hope chrysler have fixed the problem as i have a new mall crawler on order.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by offcamber
So when I first took it to the dealership who fixed it, they compared it to a new one on the lot. It sounded the same. When I picked it up I complained and they grabbed a handful of keys and started several (I think 5 or 6) so I could hear them. They all sounded close to mine. I couldn't argue much because they all sounded like mine. This issue is HUGE because more seem to have the problem than don't. The first dealer I took it to said the same thing as well. Sounds like the others.
I'm on my second 12 and neither have sounded like that. If either of them would have and someone was telling me it was normal I think I would have stayed in my 2011.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I'm on my second 12 and neither have sounded like that. If either of them would have and someone was telling me it was normal I think I would have stayed in my 2011.
Dude change your avatar!! Are you sure you bought a COD?! HAHA!!

OP, glad you got it fixed. No ticking on my 2nd 2012 either.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks

Dude change your avatar!! Are you sure you bought a COD?! HAHA!!

OP, glad you got it fixed. No ticking on my 2nd 2012 either.
lol! I'll admit I am slacking man. I really need to at least change it to one of the forum supplied avatars.

Quick Reply: 2012 JK defective head finally fixed