Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2014 JK Models/Special Editions

Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JK Models/Special Editions

I'm planning to purchase a new JK at the beginning of the year, so I've been frequenting these forums over the last month and also trying to price out a jeep online and select the options that I know I'm going to want.

I haven't seen anything posted about it yet, but I noticed that recently some new special editions have been added to the 2014 lineup and can now be ordered.

The options are now:
Sport
Sport S
Sport RHD
Sahara
Freedom Edition
Rubicon
Polar Edition
Dragon Edition
Rubicon X

The new options are Polar, Dragon, and Rubicon X (Freedom is also brought back again for 2014). This was all news to me, but I'm guessing most everyone has already heard about these editions via auto shows and other means. I'm entrigued by the Rubicon X as it is essentially the Anniversary Edition without the Anniversary badges or red leather (black leather with rubicon emroidery instead).

Definitely something I will have to dig a little deeper into when deciding between the rubicon and rubicon X. Do you think the Rubicon X will become one of the standard models in future years to go along with Sport, S, Sahara, and Rubicon?

Has anyone on here been looking forward to one of the special editions?

Last edited by irv0735; 10-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not particularly. I don't really have any interest in any Jeep with the word "edition" in it. Just an excuse for them to charge you another arm and a leg. I'd rather have a regular Sport or Rubicon and make it MY Edition

Last edited by kh202; 10-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
Not particularly. I don't really have any interest in any Jeep with the word "edition" in it. Just an excuse for them to charge you another arm and a leg. I'd rather have a regular Sport or Rubicon and make it MY Edition
I think I generally agree with this as well. The majority if the edition models are not worth the added cost. However, looking at the Rubicon X it has a hood with functional vents, upgraded bumpers and the front is winch mountable and can convert to stubby, premium rock rails, fuel filler door and leather seats with heat. Since you can get the leather seats outside of the package and its not something that I really care about, I'm looking at the other components and trying to determine if I could actually get the Rubicon and then add all of those things myself for less money and I'm not sure that I can.

Bumpers, hood, rock rails, fuel door for $3000? It's also important to note if you go aftermarket some aspects of your warranty could be void, where as when ordered as a model it would still be fully valid. That is a tough package to put together for that price. (Not to mention, the leather seats are there as well, I'm just ignoring them for my analysis)

With that being said, it's only something to consider if the quality is also there. Since I believe these components are the same as the 10th anniversary edition, can anyone chime in regarding the quality of these components?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Alright, I keep running into glitches on the jeep website when trying to build and price. I think it's because I try to open multiple tabs..

I posted that I didn't think you could get the Rubicon X with 4.10 gearing, but realized that was incorrect after refreshing the page and starting over. So, I've edited this post to correctly state that it does indeed come with 4.10.

That makes this still a tough decision for me.

Last edited by irv0735; 10-14-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Haha I love all the different plays on rubicon people have in here. "Rubikhan!" "Herocon" "sporticon" "saharacon".
The VIN number decal and nicknames too. I always like seeing peoples pride in themselves.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say you could get a lot better set of aftermarket bumpers and rock rails for $3000 vs what comes on the x. So then you have to ask how important the fancy hood is. Just something to think about
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

the dragon edition is awful

Quick Reply: 2014 JK Models/Special Editions