Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

285/70/17 Tires Fit on Stock Rubicon?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Instead of spacers, I've added a small washer to each of the steering stops, which reduces the turn radius a tiny amount and keeps the tires from rubbing on the control arms.
I recently added an addition Jeep to the family (bought my daughter a stock 08 JK). The previous owner had put on 285s. Noticed the rub at full turn, so I decided to Installed washers. Fixed problem, with Minimal overall impact to turning radius. Here is a link. A very quick fix. I spent about $2 at Home Depot (grade 8 washers)

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...top-Adjustment

Do have concerns about rubbing when off road , but at this point her Jeep is an on road vehicle. I am sure we will try it out off road at some point and, if it is an issue, I can figure out a much more costly solution . Lol
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
I recently added an addition Jeep to the family (bought my daughter a stock 08 JK). The previous owner had put on 285s. Noticed the rub at full turn, so I decided to Installed washers. Fixed problem, with Minimal overall impact to turning radius. Here is a link. A very quick fix. I spent about $2 at Home Depot (grade 8 washers)

Do have concerns about rubbing when off road , but at this point her Jeep is an on road vehicle. I am sure we will try it out off road at some point and, if it is an issue, I can figure out a much more costly solution . Lol
Yep, keep an eye on it -- but it will probably be fine. Mine has the light OME springs so the bump stops get some use when disconnected.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

How much of a difference in gas mileage and power do you notice with the 285s?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlupacchino
255-75/17 are 32.2" and 285-70/17 are 32.8" which equates to 1.8% less torque -- Not noticeable. Since the diameters are so close, MPG is more a matter of the particular tires rolling resistance. The GY Adventures on mine had no measurable affect on MPG compared with the BFG KM's.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep had 285s when I bought it for my daughter, so I don't have comparison. Frankly I was concerned about buying the 3.8. (Our other Jeep has the 3.6). The 3.8 actually seems to still have enough giddy-up (Note it is a 2dr).

Mileage around town is about 17. ... I have driven Jeeps for almost 25 years, and I have resolved myself that I am okay with the mileage trade off. .
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mr.T
255-75/17 are 32.2" and 285-70/17 are 32.8" which equates to 1.8% less torque -- Not noticeable. Since the diameters are so close, MPG is more a matter of the particular tires rolling resistance. The GY Adventures on mine had no measurable affect on MPG compared with the BFG KM's.
It's not the height difference that is the problem with the gas mileage but the width and weight difference. The more road contact, which there is over an inch in width difference, the more friction and energy it takes to rotate the tire. Also, the more weight on the tire (285/70/17's are about 10 lbs heavier each over stock 255/75/17) the more power it takes to move them. Someone once that that tire weight is equal to 2x weight elsewhere on the vehicle.

Jeep had 285s when I bought it for my daughter, so I don't have comparison. Frankly I was concerned about buying the 3.8. (Our other Jeep has the 3.6). The 3.8 actually seems to still have enough giddy-up (Note it is a 2dr).

Mileage around town is about 17. ... I have driven Jeeps for almost 25 years, and I have resolved myself that I am okay with the mileage trade off. .
Pics of jeep with the tires? What type of tire? How is turning radius? Thanks!

Last edited by Mlupacchino; 11-08-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pics of jeep with the tires? What type of tire? How is turning radius? Thanks!
Will try to get pics/tire info tonight when I get home. As far as turning radius, frankly I did not notice much of a difference after installing washers on steering stops... used 2 washers per side. The 2 doors turn on a dime.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will try to get pics/tire info tonight when I get home. As far as turning radius, frankly I did not notice much of a difference after installing washers on steering stops... used 2 washers per side. The 2 doors turn on a dime.
Tires are Yokohama Geolander AT/S. Probably not something I would buy, but they were almost new when I bought the Jeep. Ride is pretty good and My daughter loves the Jeep, so they work for now. For some reason, the app is not letting me upload a picture. Will see if I can get one uploaded
Old 11-10-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just something I learned the hard way, use stainless steel washers to adjust the stops.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

Tires are Yokohama Geolander AT/S. Probably not something I would buy, but they were almost new when I bought the Jeep. Ride is pretty good and My daughter loves the Jeep, so they work for now. For some reason, the app is not letting me upload a picture. Will see if I can get one uploaded
Any luck?

Quick Reply: 285/70/17 Tires Fit on Stock Rubicon?