Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

28s on Overland Rig!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28s on Overland Rig!

I have a 2012 Rubi bone stock presently. I am thinking of running GY Wrangler SA 215s on the stock wheels which should be about 28in tall for all my daily driving needs, and long road trips where off roading is not involved.

Then getting a set of off road tires/wheels (first stock rubi tires, then likely 35s) for any off road trips.

Does anyone else do this? Have a set of road and off road tires/wheels for easy change out?

A quick premise we (the whole fam) can only justify one car in our life so our Rubi must do double duty. We can't save it for only off roading, or take a different car for the long trek to relative's or Disneyland. Either I will run 32s 24/7 OR 28s (only $600) 90% of the time and 35s for off road trips.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Well going to 35s seems expensive already. The 28s are to save the rubber of the 35s, and maybe recoup some mpg with the lift.

I'm planning on a AEV 3.5 lift which includes the procal. Then using it to recal as needed. Most of the tools for the tire swap I have already, and don't mind getting the rest.

Great to know someone is doing this, though. That was my bigs concern, that for some unforseen reason nobody had on and off road tires they swapped.

Last edited by rrcross; 01-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Riptide
What gears are you running? You may find that the gears will be too low (and this RPMs too high) to go with tires that are 4" smaller...
That's what I was thinking. Stock 32's have my RPM's over 2,600 at highway speeds.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

What about putting as narrow of a tire as you can, with good MPG tread/compound on the stock wheels to maintain 32" height? That would maximize daily driver capability without the negatives of small tires. Then you can put the 35s/aftermarket wheels on for off road excursions.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Look into a set of treadwright AT tires for your DD set. They're reasonably priced and have great reviews on here.

Then you can keep your stock rubi tires for play.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

What gears are you running? You may find that the gears will be too low (and this RPMs too high) to go with tires that are 4" smaller...
Great point! hadn't thought of the rpms for freeway

Depends if he as 4.10 or 3.73. But even if it's 3.73 putting 28s on there would A look funny, and B likely put his RPMs up pretty high. And before someone mentions that all 12 Rubi's come stock with 4.10, previously you had to order the 4.10s as a $75 option, or it would come with 3.73s.

I can see replacing the MTs for something that's nicer on the road and saving the MTs for wheeling, but I wouldn't be going much smaller than the stock 32s.
I am getting the 4.1 gearing on the automatic which by Jpop's chart would yeild 2761rpms @ 70 for 29in tires...and 28s drop off the chart So 28s are now definately out of the question.

And oh yeah would this thing look funny. I am envisioning a Jeep Lowrider? Dumb but I would have put up with it if I could get stock to slightly better mpg.

Originally Posted by Pappy
What about putting as narrow of a tire as you can, with good MPG tread/compound on the stock wheels to maintain 32" height? That would maximize daily driver capability without the negatives of small tires. Then you can put the 35s/aftermarket wheels on for off road excursions.
Yup I already had thought about the tire width. Realizing that 28s will rev too much means I will stick to sizes close to 32s and make them as narrow as reasonable.

Thanks Everyone All around. You've answered my question. I'm now thinking BFG All-Terrain T/A 235/80/17 for my road tires. A little more narrow, more road oriented tread than stock and about 32in. But with the price increase for 32s I'm not sure going with road/off road tires makes economic sense anymore so my original post is a moot issue now.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just pick up a cheap set so sport rims and 225 tires. You can throw them on with some spacers. People practically give those away. I am sure you can find a set for around 300.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Depends if he as 4.10 or 3.73. But even if it's 3.73 putting 28s on there would A look funny, and B likely put his RPMs up pretty high. And before someone mentions that all 12 Rubi's come stock with 4.10, previously you had to order the 4.10s as a $75 option, or it would come with 3.73s.
My understanding with the 2012 Rubicons, the 4.10 are still standard and the 3.73 are an option. My 4.10 didn't cost extra.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Look into a set of treadwright AT tires for your DD set. They're reasonably priced and have great reviews on here.

Then you can keep your stock rubi tires for play.
That's a sweet idea! I will add to my mental toolbox. Those weren't on my radar b4. Not sure how I feel about retread, but I am sure the tech has come a long way since my pa's stories.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Why not just pick up a cheap set so sport rims and 225 tires. You can throw them on with some spacers. People practically give those away. I am sure you can find a set for around 300.
Since these guys brought up the rpm issue I'm now not sure I want to drive on 30s or lower. I'm sure it makes sense for the 3.21 or 3.73 gearing but with 4.1... I don't know. But I love the suggestion. Only $300 could make it very attractive option for many.

Last edited by rrcross; 01-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 28s on Overland Rig!