Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4HI or 4LOW in snow?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4HI or 4LOW in snow?

This is only the second winter I have had my Jeep so I haven't done much snow driving. It snowed here last night so I went for a cruise first thing this morning. I live in an area with a lot of steep roads and figured 4LOW would be the way to go, but I found myself spinning too much. Just curious what the best way to drive in fresh snow is? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say 4 high, 4 low gets you a lot of torque to the wheels making it a little easier to lose traction on start. You could try putting it into 2 so it has less torque on start but really. You shouldn't be on road in 4l anyway I think they say top speed is
25mph
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

4 Hi and a smooth clutch action will keep you from spinning.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Living in Northern Ontario, I have had more than my fair share of snow. Just note that I have only previously driven a Chevy pickup (6 cyl) in the winter though.

I only ran 4 HIGH in the snow for 2 reasons. You need to keep those tires spinning, and if you get going too fast (2nd gear - 3rd gear) 4 LO will become a bad idea.

Secondly, when driving in the snow, I haven't found the need for lower gearing as the tires are usually always spinning anyways. You will have more than enough guts in 4 HIGH for bombin' around in the snow IMO.

Hope this helps, and on a side note, if any other advice is contradictory to mine, i'm not here to be 100% correct, just giving my advice based on previous experience.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

4hi has gotten me to work through many winters here in Maine, even on un-plowed roads. I've had 4wd since the '70s, and always look forward to the nor'easters.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4hi has never failed me in the snow on pavement and gravel roads. The only time I use 4Lo with snow is if I am on a wheeling trail or need to crawl down steeper slopes on FSR roads/off-road trails (NOT highways or pavement).
Old 11-20-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

4hi never failed me in my old bronco. This is my first year with the JK so this winter will be interesting. I can not wail til it snows. Should be fun
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDN-JK
Hope this helps, and on a side note, if any other advice is contradictory to mine, i'm not here to be 100% correct, just giving my advice based on previous experience.

Well I'm here to be 100% correct,........unfortunatly this only happens 50% of the time.........
Old 11-20-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
This is only the second winter I have had my Jeep so I haven't done much snow driving. It snowed here last night so I went for a cruise first thing this morning. I live in an area with a lot of steep roads and figured 4LOW would be the way to go, but I found myself spinning too much. Just curious what the best way to drive in fresh snow is? Thanks!
4 low is too "low" of a gear for slick fresh snow... i would do reg 4wd with some snow traction tires... its all about the tires... you can get around just fine with 2wd with snow and good tires.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
Well I'm here to be 100% correct,........unfortunatly this only happens 50% of the time.........
That's 100% more often than me!

Thanks for the replies guys. It was pretty obvious to me that 4L was to high torque, but i wasn't going very fast as I haven't done much snow driving so I wasn't really reving too high. Can't wait for it to snow again so I can beat the plow out there.

Quick Reply: 4HI or 4LOW in snow?