Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

8 speed auto coming in 2018

Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U

I wonder if perhaps you are unaware that the Challenger Hellcat with the auto trans also has paddle shifters on the steering wheel. When you buy the auto trans you are also getting a manual transmission, with race car inspired paddle shifters. Just put the transmission in manual mode, and you get to do the shifting. Those paddle shifters are worth getting the auto transmission for.
Paddle shifters are dumb too.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
I guess if I rock crawled I would want a auto. but I don't
I went crawling for the first time a few weeks back at Hidden Falls (Marble Falls, TX), and while I was nervous about having a stick when we first started, it quickly became apparent that having a manual in the rocks was not a disadvantage, it was great. It really is a non-issue. At least with the low-gear transfer case. I can't speak for non-rubi models. In 4-Lo you can brake the hell out of it in first gear with out touching the clutch going down obstacles and it won't stall, and then going back up, let out the clutch and let it eat, I'm pretty sure that thing would climb a brick wall if I could figure out how to get a front tire on it.

Last edited by tjkamp; 12-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tjkamp

I went crawling for the first time a few weeks back at Hidden Falls (Marble Falls, TX), and while I was nervous about having a stick when we first started, it quickly became apparent that having a manual in the rocks was not a disadvantage, it was great. It really is a non-issue. At least with the low-gear transfer case. I can't speak for non-rubi models. In 4-Lo you can brake the hell out of it in first gear with out touching the clutch going down obstacles and it won't stall, and then going back up, let out the clutch and let it eat, I'm pretty sure that thing would climb a brick wall if I could figure out how to get a front tire on it.
Good to know
Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Stick is mandatory offroad if you ever need to rock yourself back and forth to get out. It's not easy to do with the manual, but impossible with the auto!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
Stick is mandatory offroad if you ever need to rock yourself back and forth to get out. It's not easy to do with the manual, but impossible with the auto!
Hmm. I've rocked myself out with my auto before... just saying. My old 6 speed rubi I almost rolled in a steep climb with one wheel off ground do to clutch engagement. And 2 of my trail buddies have done almost the same. Plus I've seen sticks have dug in as the clutch engages

Quick Reply: 8 speed auto coming in 2018