Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice Needed!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice Needed!

Hey everyone!

As my username states, I'm so close to having my first JKU! Just this last Sunday, I had everything in place to buy a white 2015 JKUR at my local dealer, all I had to do was sign. I decided to go home and sleep on it, and I think I'm going to buy a used one to save some cash. While I would have loved to have the brand new Rubi, I really want to have some cash to make her look real nice . If I buy the brand new one, I won't have money to put in to it for a while, and don't really want to sport the stock look.

I was originally wanting to buy a stock one, to avoid getting one that someone beat up and getting to do everything the way I want, until I saw this one. Here are the details...

"WE JUST GOT IN THIS VERY COOL 2007 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON. IT HAS THE 3.8L WITH AUTOMATIC TRANS, CLEAN TITLE, 59K MILES, ELECTRONIC LOKERS, SWAY BAR DISCONNECTS, CUSTOM BUMPERS AND TOW PACKAGE, CUSTOM INTERIOR ROLL CAGE, CUSTOM LIGHTING, HILIFT JACK, 4" LIFT ON 35S AND 17S, SLANT BACK SOFT TOP, JL AUDIO STEREO SYSTEM, ROCK SLIDERS AND REAR CORNER ARMOR. THIS IS A COOL JEEP. THIS IS A SWEET TRUCK. CALL TODAY TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT."

I test drove the vehicle, it drove smooth, everything seemed to be in order, except for one problem. When I got back to the dealer I noticed some smoke coming out of the grill. I pointed it out, and they said to go drive it around some more and see if it kept up, and it did. This was a couple of weeks ago, I contacted them today and they said that it was leaking from the trans pan but that it was all fixed.

I would really like to have a 2012 or newer for that new engine and extra power/fuel economy, but this Jeep has a lot of the things that I want already on it and would save me a lot of money. It is lifted on a Pro Comp/Sky Jacker kit, which I'm not happy about, but at least I won't be at stock height while I'm saving up for a RK or Evo kit! Coming from experienced Jeepers, What do you guys think?!

Thank you in advance for any help!
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 5.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	586847Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP 3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	586848Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	586849Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	586850
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
JK Freak

Why buy a lifted jeep that you're just going to change the lift on it anyway? I think if that was a lift you wanted then might make sense to buy it.

The 2015s are significantly nicer interiors w/ a very good stereo. What would you be paying for this jeep?

The 3.8 engine is noticeably slower on the highway. For crawling and city stop/go they should be about the same.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the new one and build it the way you want. Patience is a virtue.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2015 for a variety of reasons...8 years newer, 60k less miles, you can spend 5k in lift/tires/etc, nicer interior, you can build it how you want, warranty, you don't know what the previous owner did with it, the smoke coming from the grill, more HP, better mpg...Unless the '07 is 20k less, I think this is a no-brainer.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to JK-F

You seem to be making your forum rounds.... As mentioned before, I don't see enough mods on this Jeep to warrant you settling for it. I'd go for a newer model.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

New one. Why does it matter if you are driving a stock Jeep for a bit? Stock Jeeps go great off-road and can be a lot of fun. Take your time and build the new Jeep over the next few years. This will allow you to build how you want and not the way someone else wanted. Im sure for you like for most of us $$$ is an issue, but if you can afford new then get new.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One, the smoke was a sign. Two, look at what people are saying on these forums about the 3.8L. But in the end, you have to be happy. We're not paying the note or driving it every day. I'd go new and build it the way you want.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The used prices are so inflated buying new just makes more sense. I like the high resale when I am selling but when looking for a JK for my kid they are just too close to new prices.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its not just the new 3.6 but the new 5 speed auto feels way better than the old 4 speed auto that came with the 3.8. It has a.69 OD ratio that is only good for very flat roads.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a 2015 SPORT with the max tow package. Then build the rest.

For the extra money you spend on a Rubicon, you can replace the front with a Teraflex 44, put lockers in front and rear, and have a pile of cash left over for a lift and better tires. The only thing you would be missing would be an electronic sway bar disconnect and a 110V inverter, both of which are worthless.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed!