Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice Needed

Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Yeah, I can't believe the prices. I did get a good deal when I bought my 2012 jku sport. I ordered mine from the factory. Connectivity, power locks & windows. 3.73 rear with max tow package and hard top, alloy wheels. I only paid $29k. Brand new with zero miles. That was 6yrs ago & 101,000 miles. I still love it, and it's paid for! I also bought the lifetime factory warranty, so I don't think I'll ever sell it.
Yeah, the prices of used JK's make me wish that I wanted to sell mine but since I don't, it's kind of a waste. I paid $28.5K for my 2009 Sahara JKU with Zero miles on it. A new Sahara JL is almost double that not even 10 years later. Jeez!

If the OP is looking for a Sahara 2 door, that's likely the reason you're coming up empty, FCA just didn't make many of them. The Sahara is the luxury model that the Soccer mom's prefer, who also prefer the 4 doors for the kids. You'll have a much easier time finding a Sport or Rubi in a 2 door. The JL they aren't even making a 2 door Sahara.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-15-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm not a soccer mom, but thanks. LOL! I just prefer the look/styling of the Sahara. In 2010, they didn't have quite as many options as the Sahara does today. Power windows and painted fenders are about it on this one. I realize everyone has their preferences. I just dig this model in 2-door. Our kids are about to begin driving and will have their own rides, so I care less about carting them around these days. Besides, mom has her SUV to do that when needed. This is just for me. The only door/seat I care about is the driver side

And yes, I remember 10-15 years ago when you could get a new Wrangler fully optioned for $24k. I thought that was a ridiculous price then, too. But, in retrospect...
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lindemanlax
Well, I'm not a soccer mom, but thanks. LOL! I just prefer the look/styling of the Sahara. In 2010, they didn't have quite as many options as the Sahara does today. Power windows and painted fenders are about it on this one. I realize everyone has their preferences. I just dig this model in 2-door. Our kids are about to begin driving and will have their own rides, so I care less about carting them around these days. Besides, mom has her SUV to do that when needed. This is just for me. The only door/seat I care about is the driver side

And yes, I remember 10-15 years ago when you could get a new Wrangler fully optioned for $24k. I thought that was a ridiculous price then, too. But, in retrospect...
I'm not a soccer mom either, and preferred the Sahara as well. Just saying the market is what it is, and FCA did not make many 2Dr Sahara since the market demand wasn't there.

Here's some production numbers that may interest you so you can understand your hunt a little more. The numbers will tell you the truth.Total 2010 Sahara 2Dr Automatics Built in the U.S=4,616
Total 2010 Wranglers built in U.S=102,211. Percentage of 2 Dr. 2010 Sahara Auto Wranglers built=4.5%. So you have a 4.5% chance of finding an automatic Sahara 2 door and that number may be reduced in your area.

In comparison to the 4Dr Sahara production numbers= 14,169 =>13.8% Therefore you are 3 times more likely to find a 4 door Sahara of the same model year, than you are with a 2 door.

Now look at the 2Dr Sport auto numbers=19,430 => 19% It's more on par with the 4Door Sahara numbers. Thus the reason I'm saying you will likely have a better chance to find a Sport.

It's a good thing you're not set on getting a RHD 4x4 auto Sport. You'ld only have a 1 out of 102,211 chance of locating it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-16-2018 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lindemanlax (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. In addition to explaining the scarcity of what I'm looking for, it might also explain the pricing. Supply/demand...
Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. In addition to explaining the scarcity of what I'm looking for, it might also explain the pricing. Supply/demand...
I feel the higher price could be tied to the rarity but more so I feel it has to do with the low mileage because that is pretty rare to only have 32k on a 2010 and stock. You've definitely found a rare bird.

What bothers me the most is I know that asking price is not much lower than what it was purchased new. Like I mentioned I got my 2009 4dr Sahara at $28.5k new where the 2 door cost $3-4k less than the 4 door. You would be paying about $2-3k less than what it was purchased for new, and it's now 8 years old but if you like it that much, it's best you get it because chances are not in your favor to find another with that low of mileage and meets your preferences.

If someone would have told me 8 years ago that I could purchase a new vehicle 8 years ago and I'ld only lose $2-3k when I went to sell it 8 years later, I would have thought they were crazy. Wrangler economics defy logic.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

So, after searching high/low for a comparable Sport or Sahara from Maryland to North Carolina, I ended up buying the Sahara in my original post. In the end, for the year, trim, mileage, options, etc., the pricing on it was fair. The thing is in crazy nice shape for an 8 year old rig. Thanks for everyone's help!!! -Bruce
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

So, after searching high/low for a comparable Sport or Sahara from Maryland to North Carolina, I ended up buying the Sahara in my original post. In the end, for the year, trim, mileage, options, etc., the pricing on it was fair. The thing is in crazy nice shape for an 8 year old rig. Thanks for everyone's help!!! -Bruce
Congrats! I remember that color when I was shopping for mine. It's a really nice color. I was tossing back and forth between that Red and the Deep Water Blue that I ended up getting. I've had bad luck with Red on past vehicles with the Poe Poe, so I decided to play it safe and go with the blue.
lindemanlax (04-21-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Pleasantly surprised with the highway mpg's on my rig this weekend. Drove down to the river and back, about 2 hours each way. Just as I hit the off ramp near our house, it hit 21.8 avg mpg's. Much improved over my F150.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Those stock tires are doing a lot for you. Running a 265/70-17 tire (shorter and wider...marginally) , I averaged 22 between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. Keep it under 64-64 and you'll see the best mpg.
lindemanlax (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Pleasantly surprised with the highway mpg's on my rig this weekend. Drove down to the river and back, about 2 hours each way. Just as I hit the off ramp near our house, it hit 21.8 avg mpg's. Much improved over my F150.
Don't get too excited by those numbers as they plummet when not on highway. I've had my 2012 since new. I now have over 100,000 miles and keep all fill-up data in an excel sheet. At the 95,000 mile mark, I had filled my Jeep up 342 times. There were only 8 fill-ups where I recorded 20mpg or higher which computes to less than 3% of my fill ups. My highest ever was 22.26. My average is 17.1. My Jeep is a 2012 jku sport manual trans with 3.73 rear. Pretty much stock except xrc rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed