Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice on Potential JKU purchase

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Potential JKU purchase

Currently looking at a used 2013 JKU sport s 25k miles.
I'm new to jeeps

How much should I expect to pay

Are there things to look for regarding abuse or common issues

Is this a good year?
it does have the 3.6 engine in it, a 2 inch budget boost, Tow package with 3.73 gears305/70/18 Nitto Terra Graplers with 12-13/32nd tire tread left( will these need to be replaced soon?)
N-Fab steps

Seems in good condition on the outside but I don't know Jeeps that well and this jeep has been through 2 owners so far ( kind of a red flag with low miles)
This is about all I know so far
Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound too bad.. I have a 2010 with 26k miles with two previous owners. Every year has its corks but I believe that was a better one. Nittos usually come at 19-20/32nds. Look at KBB for that year and mileage and you should be good. If you want it get it and make it your own. Good luck on the decision. Pun intended. Lol
Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.6 engine with 3.73 gears would be very important to me. Check under the Jeep, does it look bent and beat up?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiKing
The 3.6 engine with 3.73 gears would be very important to me. Check under the Jeep, does it look bent and beat up?
I agree with this. Also, financing rate will be different for used vs new. Because JKus hold their value so well, it may be worthwhile looking at a brand new one.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other documented issue with the 2012 is the head issue. There are quite a few reports and threads about a bad head in the motor. You should research that a bit if buying a 2012.
I was in a similar spot as you about a year and a half ago. I wanted 2012 or newer because I wanted the 3.6 motor. I ended up buying a new 2014 because used was almost the same price as new.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razorsharp
Price is his payoff 28,650 looking at kbb that is inline with a private party sale. I've been reading about the jku on forums alot and I think I have read myself into thinking they are fun to own for a little while until you have a real hard to fix issue, like randomly not starting, or randomly the engine just dies, or your really going to need to change out all the bolts in the front end to avoid getting death wobble even if it were a new jeep, or suddenly the front passenger floor board is leaking. stuff like that makes me wonder why anyone would drive a vehicle like this, but then I realize that the happy people will hardly ever post in a forumn about having a nice ride on the way into work or, I have never had a problem with my jeep and its a such and such year model etc. I gues all this reading has made me a bit afraid I mean really 28,650 might not be much to some but to me its a small fortune.
You'll read all the negatives on any forum. Don't let it scare you... No one is posting, "My Jeep ran great today!" Typically, people go to the forums to look for fixes or advice. Kind of like the airlines... You never hear about the thousands and thousands of safe landings a day, but you'll hear about one bad landing forever! ;-)

Last edited by Greep; 12-18-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Price is his payoff ...
Check out his FB page. You may see pictures of how he drove this Jeep that convince you to pass on it.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

$28650? You definitely should do the math on getting a new one. For one thing, interest rate and length of term available should be better. Then also think of lifetime costs, including value when you decide to get rid of it. Spending $2-$3k more now may well be worth it. I only paid about $29,000 for my brand new 2012 JKU sport with S package and Max tow with manual trans. I have 53,000 trouble free miles on mine now.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

I'm seriously considering both options. how do you get the lifetime warranty so many people talk about on here?
I bought the chrysler lifetime warranty. It was an extra $2800 or so. Good for as long as I own it. The dealer would be glad to sell this to you. Some older years came with a lifetime warranty. I think that was a ploy to get people to trust chrysler. They were up against much stronger warranties from the likes of Kia and Hyundai.

Quick Reply: Advice on Potential JKU purchase