Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice on storing my jeep

Old 12-07-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on storing my jeep

I'm about to store my Jeep for about 4 months and I have two ideas on how to store it.

1. Trickle charger plugged into a GFI outlet.

2. Disconnect the battery.

Any other ideas or concerns with the options above?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have someone check on it every once and a while and just start it up and let it run. Make note of mileage so you can check it when you get back lol.

Sam
Old 12-07-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

What part of the country. What will temperature be? I'm in NJ. My son is a Marine and spent all last winter in Afghanistan. I kept a trickle charger on his TJ. I think that's good insurance. If the battery looses charge, it can freeze and be permanently damaged. My advice is to get a decent trickle charger. I think they range from $20-$30 at Walmart. My brother tried a bunch of harbor freight ones for his toys and most of those failed.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
What part of the country. What will temperature be? I'm in NJ. My son is a Marine and spent all last winter in Afghanistan. I kept a trickle charger on his TJ. I think that's good insurance. If the battery looses charge, it can freeze and be permanently damaged. My advice is to get a decent trickle charger. I think they range from $20-$30 at Walmart. My brother tried a bunch of harbor freight ones for his toys and most of those failed.

I'm in the mountains of NC. Waynesville to be exact. Temps in the winter can get to zero and below for a low. Will be in the garage. Thanks for the info. I think the trickle charger is the way to go. I don't have anyone close by to start it every once in a while.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
I'm about to store my Jeep for about 4 months and I have two ideas on how to store it.

1. Trickle charger plugged into a GFI outlet.

2. Disconnect the battery.

Any other ideas or concerns with the options above?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Do both 1 & 2.
I have read that the A/C should be run once in a while to keep the seals from leaking. I've never had a problem with extended storage, but I guess it's a possibility.
If you decide to have someone start it once in a while, leave the battery connected, with the battery maintainer hooked up. I would have them disconnect the maintainer before starting the engine, and reconnect it after shutdown.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer (ethanol specific if applicable). Put it in the tank, drive for a bit, make sure it is in the nine. I also Rome plugs and put about an ounce of marvel mystery in each cylinder head (directions on the bottle).

Wrap something impervious over the intake and exhaust to keep critters out. Put a tight rubber band or zip tie over it to keep it in place. Mice love a good hiding spot in the winter.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Thanks all,

I think I have a good idea on what to do. Got the stabilizer in today. Didn't think about the critters, will for sure take care of the intake and exhaust. Going to work on the other suggestions also. Better to be safe than sorry.

JB
Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

4 months is nothing.

I'd hook it up to a trickle charger on a GFI outlet. Make sure the area is free of rodents, or potential to attract rodents. You don't want critters moving in.

Support the vehicle chassis so the tires are off the ground, if you're worried about flat spots. Otherwise, make sure the tires are at the proper pressure before you leave, maybe a few more pounds of air if the temperature will be much colder in the next 4 months, or regular pressure if the temp will get much warmer.

If you leave the tires on the ground, you might feel flat spots the first time you drive it. Slowly, carefully, they should even out to normal as the tire compound warms up.

If the engine oil is in need of changing, do that before you store it. Personally, I'd skip the snake oil in the cylinder heads, etc. If you're worried about oiling after 4 months of sitting, read on here how to turn the engine over without having it start (but having the oil pump circulate oil into the heads again).

I would not start the vehicle periodically. Unless it's started, and run at operating temperature for a good 20 minutes ON the road, I wouldn't bother. Anything else is going to cause moisture and other nasties to accumulate in the engine oil, exhaust system, etc that won't be fully burned off by letting it idle up to operating temp. And what's the reason for cold-starting your Jeep while you're gone anyway? (It's hooked up to a tender...)

Once again, 4 months isn't long. You'll have a nice, charged battery to come back to, that will turn the Jeep over on the first try.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have my plan. Trickle charger, inflate tires with a few extra pounds of air, stabilizer for the fuel tank, and rodent protect the intake and exhaust. Oh and no emergency brake. Since it will be in the garage I'm thinking that will be enough to ensure all is good when I return.

Thanks again, as always I learned a few things....

Quick Reply: Advice on storing my jeep