Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

African JKs

Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed those pics!

This one especially.

Originally Posted by zungazi
Old 02-08-2008, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Seems there is so much JK demand in South Africa that Chrysler isn't much bothered supplying the rest of us. We only have a tiny handful of JKs in Kenya. I ended up shipping my Sahara CRD manual from the UK. Cost me more and I lost the warranty, but at least I have it!

Life with a JK is good. The 4-door is a fantastic safari vehicle. Here's a shot of the "nude" JK in Amboseli national Park with friends from Greece visiting over Christmas (I'm behind the wheel).

Earlier had a pride of lions walk by just four meters away. Would have preferred more distance so exposed but boxed in by a several minivans of tourists. They got a good laugh at us in our exposed position!

The seat covers are Sandstorm locally made canvas and leather. The 18" Bridgetones did not hold up too well and I have recently upgraded to six Cooper S/T 255/85R16 on stock 16" alloys found cheap on Ebay and shipped from Florida.

I have been making my own GPS tracks of Kenya for the past six years, so my Garmin 276C is mounted rather prominently on dash. It is removable, though (the way my wife likes it!).

Other mods on order are ARB front and rear bumpers, ARB Dana 30 diff cover, and Teraflex rock rails.

Would like some more underbody protection, but Skid Row and Rock Hard have no idea whether their stuff will fit a diesel JK (probably not).

To all of you who love amazing wildlife and beautiful beaches, Kenya is tops and this is actually a great time to visit without spending a packet or having many other tourists around. It's a big country and trouble in the West doesn't mean trouble in the North, South, or East. Nairobi is safetoo unless you go deep into the slums, and even there the people are friendly to foreigners -- just fed up at the politicians who stole the election and botched the protests. We'll see if a new joint government/opposition government gets off the ground.

I take solace in the next American election. Obama '08!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Amboseli1.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	6082  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yebo! this what I was looking for, and "Habari" to our friends from Kenya .
OK, so there is JK life in Africa.
Haa yes, windshield down no doors and a few of your best mates out on a game drive in the African bush with Simba "Lion". It hard to top that hey.
Hey guys if you ever get the chance come on down to Africa you'll love it, and maybe we can organize you some rifle mounts for your windshield.
I want my JK Rubi now!

Last edited by zungazi; 02-08-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

very nice pictures
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hello, Jumbo and Dumela to Africans and Americans alike,

I am a real African (Botswana) - American (Philadelphia) living in New York,

I get to go home and do some serious safari driving every once in a while.

I cannot wait to get my JK back home to Southern Africa to really enjoy some exploring in those wide open spaces.

Namibia especially.

I am keen to see pics of JKs in Southern Africa doing their thing.

Any JKers from Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Zim...pls post some pics to keep me alive. There are not many wide open space in the New York.
Thanks,
Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoyed those pics!

This one especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zungazi

Last edited by zungazi; 02-10-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Zungazi,

I hope to drive down to Cape Town someday! By then you'll have your Rubicon, so maybe I can look you up and we can do some exploring together...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Kenya1
Hope I'm not too old and can still drive by the time I get my Jk. Hell yes ,if you plan on coming down to Cape Town send me a PM before you do. Can show you our neck of the woods.

Botsjeep, good on you my friend. I get up to Botswana and Namibia alot and am there a few time a year. Do not see alot of JKs out here but they are beginning show up now and then. Where are you from in Bots?

Last edited by zungazi; 02-09-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Zungazi,

this is a Jeep board, but I am jealous of you '02 Defender. Very, very jealous.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Funny, it looks like this lioness is someones pet! She has a lovely blue collar!

Robert, as you wish to get a JK, I wish I could get my hands on a Defender. I must say, I take little comfort in knowing that there is someone on the other side of the world that wants a JK as badly as I would like a new D90. You will probably be able to get a JK before I will be able to get a new Defender, though. Great pictures!

Quick Reply: African JKs