Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Air Mattress/Sleeping in back of JKU

Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Mattress/Sleeping in back of JKU

Anyone know of an air mattress made for the back of a JKU? There are old posts on it, but nothing within the last couple years.. I saw there are air mattresses made for other Jeeps (Gherokee, GC, Commander) but haven't been able to find anything on the Wrangler. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive been looking for one that molded around the center console, but cant find a single JK air matress. ive used a cheap air mattress and it worked, but the console makes it real uncomftable.
Alot of people suggest getting like a 4" memory foam and cutting it out to fit
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's no need for any "special air mattress."

Just pick up a "full" and it'll fit just fine. Just lay it in there, shut the tailgate, and inflate it. It will fill the crevices.

Pic of the wife and pup testing it out:

My wife, the pup, and I fit just fine with no problem. I am 5' 10" and it is completely comfortable.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Closest thing a quick Google search could find:

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/nap-32000.html
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think there was enough space. I threw a futon mattress back there and with the front seats all the way up I had to sleep diagonal just to fit. I'm 5'11" and couldn't roll at all.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for this exact same thing on sunday and found nothing (Foam is gets Uncomfortable after a few days) I am going to try the full size air matress instead it looks like it will be decent
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried a full size from walmart. For one person it was comfortable but with two is was wasnt at all. not much room since you cant sleep diagnoly and even wit the seats foward all the way the matress stops at the center console.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is my JKU different than you guys? My wife is only a few inches shorter than me and I'm 5'10". You can see she fits with almost 6-8" of extra space with the gap at her head and feet.

How can a guy who's 5'11" say he can't fit when I do with room to spare?

And two people fit perfectly with plenty of room to roll around....now if you are a little larger then maybe not...

Last edited by BrettDez; 01-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Wow, there are usually 100 different products for every conceivable Jeep want/desire/need but there seems to be a big hole in the market when it comes to a good quality, custom fit JK air mattress...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rokaholic
Wow, there are usually 100 different products for every conceivable Jeep want/desire/need but there seems to be a big hole in the market when it comes to a good quality, custom fit JK air mattress...
Why do you even want one? A "custom fit" mattress will probably be marked up double the price while a generic everyday full air mattress fits just fine....

EDIT: When I say it fits fine, you do have to leave a little air out so it will conform. If you try to fully inflate it to normal max pressure, it will not conform around the crevices and shape of the vehicle. But there's plenty of air still in it to be comfortable.

Last edited by BrettDez; 02-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Mattress/Sleeping in back of JKU