Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What to buy.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy.

So i’m between a rock and hard place. I sold my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X about a year ago. I drive company cars so I don’t really need a car.
I came across a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for 14992. It has 122k miles on it. It’s Jeep green metallic. Hard top. No body issues besides the norm for a 10 year old Wrangler. Navigation. Auto. Power everything. Test drove it. Rode like a new car. Oh, and it has AEV bumpers front and rear. Other than that it’s bone stock. CARFAX is clean no accidents etc. 2 owners.
So my couple questions are, does this seem like a good buy? Or should I hold off and try and find a good priced 2012 and newer? I don’t want a huge car payment. $300-$350 at most.
I need 4 doors, hard top, power windows, and auto. I really like the military colors and anvil.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

All things being equal, almost everyone is gonna say get a '12+ with the 3.6L. Unfortunately, that's probably gonna run you another $10k or so. On the surface, it sounds like someone has taken pretty good care of that Jeep. It seems to meet your needs, and it's not a terrible price.....and I'd assume you could shave a little bit off that.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
All things being equal, almost everyone is gonna say get a '12+ with the 3.6L. Unfortunately, that's probably gonna run you another $10k or so. On the surface, it sounds like someone has taken pretty good care of that Jeep. It seems to meet your needs, and it's not a terrible price.....and I'd assume you could shave a little bit off that.
I wish the 3.6 wranglers were a bit cheaper. It is what is. I like the interior upgrades in the 11+ models also.
Even though the 3.6 is the more hp/tq mpg engine I’m not sold on it. I like the simplicity of the 3.8 and it is a reliable engine.
The other issue is I really like the jeep green metallic color. From what I’ve found it was only produced 07-10.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I also vote for 2012 or newer. My 2012 is a color called Black Forest green. When freshly waxed and under the glow of a nuclear explosion you can see sparkly green. Other than those conditions it simply looks black. Park it next to a black Jeep and you can't tell a difference.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty08JK
... I don’t want a huge car payment. $300-$350 at most. ... I really like the military colors and anvil.
It's smart to buy the vehicle that you can afford to pay off in three years or less. If you find you're financing longer, then look for a less expensive vehicle.

Originally Posted by Rusty08JK
... I really like the jeep green metallic color. From what I’ve found it was only produced 07-10.
Yep, And back then it was a difficult color to find on lots because it sold quickly (at least according to my dealer).

Lost somewhere in Nevada.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 3.6 is a lot more powerful than the 3.8. My 2012 is also the Black Forest Green Pearl but it has so many pinstripes now the green really only shines through on the rear corners and reflecting sunlight.

Honestly though the 3.8 is a fairly reliable motor and if you like the Jeep I wouldn't say no if it was within your budget. I also drive a lot of company vehicles as well so my JK is sitting at 65,000 km. I bought it as a weekend getaway vehicle and it has done me well at stealing all my spare cash for mods. Seems I spend money on computer parts in the winter and JK parts in the summer... So I guess all I would say is make sure you can factor in wanting to buy mods into your budget!
Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
The 3.6 is a lot more powerful than the 3.8. My 2012 is also the Black Forest Green Pearl but it has so many pinstripes now the green really only shines through on the rear corners and reflecting sunlight.

Honestly though the 3.8 is a fairly reliable motor and if you like the Jeep I wouldn't say no if it was within your budget. I also drive a lot of company vehicles as well so my JK is sitting at 65,000 km. I bought it as a weekend getaway vehicle and it has done me well at stealing all my spare cash for mods. Seems I spend money on computer parts in the winter and JK parts in the summer... So I guess all I would say is make sure you can factor in wanting to buy mods into your budget!
Thank you for the reply.
I am going to hold off on the 08 model and see if I can find something a little bit newer with less miles. Being newer I should also be able to finance more with a better term and interest rate.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you'll regret that. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

I vote for the 3.6. It's night and day different.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Diggie
I vote for the 3.6. It's night and day different.
Thank you everyone for the replies.
I’ve decided to hold off on buying at the moment. Waiting for the 2012 and newer to come down a few thousand, maybe next year.

Quick Reply: What to buy.