Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Alternative to Tuffy 299-01?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Alternative to Tuffy 299-01?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure - 299-01.

I don't really keep up with Jeep accessories. I need a simple way to lock the cargo area of my Jeep. Truly I think the Tuffy stuff is overpriced by a factor of two, but I'm finally about to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy it.

Before I do it, is there something else new on the market that I should look at as an alternative (excluding the other Tuffy stuff...)?

BTW I am not really interested in smaller "security enclosure" products like console or glove box or under seat etc. I need to be able to store things like my guitar pedalboard and double gig bag, multiple long guns in cases, luggage including 2+ roll-aboard type bags, stuff my wife buys while shopping, etc. Essentially I need a "trunk".

Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it’s expensive, it is worth it. The product is sturdy and depending on which model you get, easy to disassemble if needed. However, I saw on Facebook a guy built his own setup out of wood. Basically made a tonneau cover for the trunk. Might be something to look into?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowtj02
While it’s expensive, it is worth it. The product is sturdy and depending on which model you get, easy to disassemble if needed. However, I saw on Facebook a guy built his own setup out of wood. Basically made a tonneau cover for the trunk. Might be something to look into?
BTDT ... I built a cover from aluminum and polycarbonate panels. It works fine for a cover, but it's in no way secure. I have been using this for the better part of two years, but it's time to move on to something that can be secured absolutely. I'm tired of not being able to leave my Jeep parked without a constant worry that someone's going to unzip the side window, lay down the rear seat and just reach in and help themselves to whatever is in there.

I don't disagree that the Tuffy product is a good product, it's just overpriced by a factor of two. It's a good product for $150. It's only because it has no competition that they manage to sustain a $300 price tag. I have to assume most JKU owners who daily their Jeep must have a hard top. Or people who care about being able to take cargo with them and lock it up simply don't buy JKs because there is no factory option and it's way outside the scope of the average car owner to install something like this to solve a super basic problem that is solved absolutely for literally every single other vehicle on the market.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I had a hardtop but prefer soft top. So when I bought a soft top I bought the tuffy box too. I am pleased with it but the price was a tough pill to swallow for sure.

Quick Reply: Alternative to Tuffy 299-01?