Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another towing question/thread!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another towing question/thread!

I have a 09 JK with the 2000lb tow capacity. I have a trailer that is weight rated to about 1600lbs (GVWR: 1,980 lb)...small 4x8 utility. My main reason for purchasing this trailer is to haul wood for the family fireplace. So I have two questions. One, what is the proper way to load the trailer with wood in respect to the JK? Heaviest in the front or rear of the trailer? Second, does anyone know about how much a face cord of wood weighs? I know it depends on the type of wood. The would I will be hauling will be dry/seasoned wood. Has anyone hauled a face cord with their JK? I know to be careful while driving, plenty of room to brake etc etc. The distance is about 20 minutes or so on 99% flat roads, and residential speed limits. If someone thinks a face cord would be to much, I can always buy less but I would prefer the face cord as that it was people sell them by, Thanks everyone!!

ETA....I had to get a 6" drop. The difference between the hitch and the trailer coupler was -6.5"...so the trailer angles up in the front about a 1" or so. I have no idea what the tongue weight is for this trailer, but the trailer is not heavy at all, right around 350lbs or so.

Last edited by turner7205; 10-24-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

An answer to part of your question: load needs to be heavier in front of the axle than behind. Otherwise, too much weight in the back of trailer can cause dangerous trailer sway.
A quick google search says a cord of seasoned woo weighs 4000 pounds. A face cord is about 1/3 of a full cord. Doing the math, sounds like you should not have a problem. Just drive smart. Pretend you have a dog in your jeep. Drive slow enough so the dog won't fall over. Leave enough stopping distance so no risk of slamming brakes.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 10-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
An answer to part of your question: load needs to be heavier in front of the axle than behind. Otherwise, too much weight in the back of trailer can cause dangerous trailer sway.
absolutely! And I took care of a guy when I was in practice who lost his leg to a trailer swaying. When the police investigated the accident, they cited the driver at fault for improper load distribution. The patient I had followed up with slapping the driver of the towing vehicle with a law suit. My patient won, a lot of money. To the tune of 7 figures.....
Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the total weight of the trailer + the load. ex:
1,500 pound weight empty trailer
500 load weight
2,000 pound gross weight
Tongue weight should be close to 300lbs

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: Another towing question/thread!